Logo

I have sighted a Detroit Diesel 451 Marine Diesel engine in Mobile AL

• Thread starter Daniel F. Blanchard
  • Start date
D

Daniel F. Blanchard

"Can anyone direct me to a sou

"Can anyone direct me to a source of written info on a "Detroit Diesel 4-51" marine diesel enine. I know of one in Mobile, AL., and have seen it and photographs of the engine. When were they made?, and when did they become out of service...... any help out there?

danny Blanchard
[email protected]"

" Danny and Kim,

I was thin

" Danny and Kim,

I was thinking the same thing as Kim... but apparently there was a Detroit Diesel 4-51, also a 2-51. The 4-51 is 216cid, and was built around 1950 - ?. I have a Service and Parts manual. I will send you an email directly Danny.

Regards,
Andrew "

That should be 4-cylinders at

That should be 4-cylinders at 51 cubic inches displacement per cylinder equals 204cubic inch displacement total.

Looking for manifolds and ris

Looking for manifolds and riser for 4-53???
Thanks

Re: Looking for manifolds and ris

I have a 451 Detroit diesel with transmission sitting on the side of mu house for past 15 years. Was a spare to engine for a sailboat that is long gone. If you can lift it and take away , it is yours free of charge. Location Ft. lauderdale, Fl.

Re: Looking for manifolds and ris

I have a 451 Detroit diesel with transmission sitting on the side of mu house for past 15 years. Was a spare to engine for a sailboat that is long gone. If you can lift it and take away , it is yours free of charge. Location Ft. lauderdale, Fl.

I know you wont see this message but I just wanted to put it out there that I am very interested in this engine.

Erictaylor,
Have you tried private messaging Garyski on this sight? He will see that if he gets on ANY thread on this Forum.
That is, of course, IF Garyski logs on and IF he has Private Messaging turned ON.
Good luck.

I Have a marine 4-51 I picked up last summer. Looking for a fuel pump. Have a 6-71 same vintage pump which appears to have the same mounting profile but not sure yet of RH or LH rotation. so not sure it will work. Engine is still packed for winter storage but am getting it out this week to work towards running condition. Any insight or direction for parts or manuals would be a great help.
H

671 pump should have LH or RH stamped on the end plus an arrow indicating direction. You can use an electric fuel pump rated at about 30 gph. About $20 on ebay. Also a place to look for a manual. The engine was very loud and not too popular for that reason. It was difficult to quiet because any exhaust restriction effected the power output. It was used in industrial situations where noise wasn't a problem, like oil fields. An oil field supply might be a place to look for parts. Also try http://www.surplusman.com/ They buy and sell used diesels and parts.

Back