Logo

Steering cable

john

Contributing Member
" I live in the NE (cold h

" I live in the NE (cold here now) and boat on salt water. I store my boat indoors. Religiously every year when I winterize, I clean the steering cable rod and then thoroughly regrease and wd40. Yet, I went into the garage today and it is very dfficult to turn the engine. I moved it abit ( very tought to turn) and applied some marine silicone spray. This appears to get worse each year. No matter what I do, it seems to bind up. Any ideas? "

"John.... It sounds like it&#3

"John.... It sounds like it's time to remove the steering rod from the engine steering tube. After removing it, clean the inner and outer steering arm thoroughly, then grease it. Before re-assembling the steering rod to the engine, clean out the inner portion of the steering tube. You can purchase a cylindrical type wire brush that you can use in a electrical drill to do that job.

Joe
"

" This is the way I did, when

" This is the way I did, when my steering cable began to seize (still possible to move though). The goal is to bring grease inside the cable end (motor end).
I will try to explain it without any pictures.
If you take cable end out of the tilt tube, you will find the cable end tube has its inner diameter giuded by an ?nner guide tube? Throughout the whole stroke of the cable end there is no opening to bring in the grease, and it doesn? seem to be any way to disasseble it.
For this solution getting in the grease, it is necessary that the outer diameter of the cable end has a snug fit inside the tilt tube.

Turn the steering wheel to fully extend the the cable end.

Pull out the cable from the tilt tube, so far that you can see the whole ?nner guide tube?
Put a thick layer of grease on to the ?nner guide tube?

Put the cable end back in place into the tilt tube. The grease should now fill up the whole available volume inside the tilt tube.

Turn the steering wheel to fully retract the the cable end. The available volume will decrease, and the grease has to go somewhere. If you are lucky the grease will go through the gap between the cable end tube and the ?nner guide tube? and then it? inside.

This has to be repeated until you have got enough grease into the system.

Of course the unit has to be ?xercised?during the procedure, to work the grease further inside.
It worked for me, hope it will work for you.

Robert Perneborn "

I had the same problem and tr

I had the same problem and tried to grease the crap out of the cable with no results. Eventually it stripped the gear housing underneath the wheel. Your best bet is to just replace the cabel. It makes a huge difference. Its effortless now. I also found out after the fact that those cables are sealed so its nearly impossible the grease it effectly.

" I agree, eventually the cabl

" I agree, eventually the cable should be replaced.
My difficulty seems to be between the ram and inside tilt-tube. While wire brushing will remove hardened grease, it scores the tube and makes the subsequent seizure even worse. "

" I have a 1975 200-horse Evin

" I have a 1975 200-horse Evinrude, and the steering cable is frozen. Can anyone explain how I can remove the cable assembly from the tilt tube?

I cut the cable--upon instructions from a seaworthy boat mechanic. So, I must replace the cable so I can get out there and get some fish.

Thanks.

Jim "

Back