Logo

Outboard motor winterizing 1981 Johnson 70hp amp tilt n trim too

S

Smith7528

Can I get some info on winter

Can I get some info on winterizing a 1981 Johnson 70 hp engine and also for the power tilt n trim. Thanks. Bill

" first, add some fuel stabili

" first, add some fuel stabilizer to your gas tank, and run the engine to get the treated fuel into the carburetor and motor. Next, while the engine is running, spray some "fogging oil" into the throat of the carburetor at about 1500 RPM's until the motor dies out. Then remove the spark plugs and spray some of the fogging oil into the cylinders, and rotate the engine by hand to get the oil circulated. You also want to drain the gear oil and install fresh oil for storage. This will tell you if you have any water or contaminents in the old gear oil. That's about all you need to do, on an outboard. Do make sure that the motor is left in the down position to let the water run out and not let water fill up the gear housing from rain or such. You really don't have to do anything to the power trim system, except for checking and topping off the fluid. "

I have to put a new water pum

I have to put a new water pump in my 1981 70 hp johnson out board i have undone all the bolts but where do i diconnect the gear shift from as the bottom of the motor won't come apart. can you help please.

Back