Logo

63 Evinrude will not charge

M

Mr. Anderson

" I have an old Evinrude that

" I have an old Evinrude that will not generate electricity. I just replaced a broken wire from the rotor, and I assume that the rotor is now shorted as I have no resistence between the two leads from the rotor.
Should there be some measurable resistance between those two leads?
Where can one get a rotor for such an old motor or have one wound? "

" Go to K-Mart and buy a $20.

" Go to K-Mart and buy a $20. battrey charger.1963
Evinrudes had a belt driven generator with an external machanical voltage regulator.The flywheel pulley came loose due to heat,the regulator was never very good in a marine enviornment and it only made 10amps at wot.Go to K-Mart save yourself time, money,and frustration!
jupiterzeke "

" This motor does not have a b

" This motor does not have a belt driven generator. It is a 75 horsepower starflite V. I used a battery charger (and back up battery) last fall after I started having trouble, and have since built a rectifier/regulator for the motor using modern solid state parts as well as replaced every piece of wire in the boat.
The main problem with charging the battery after every use is that the boat is equiped with selectric shift and, with all the lights on, draws almost 10 amps of power to stay running and in gear. The electric shift is also damning because without power, the boat will not stay in gear thus making electricity a necessity as opposed to a luxury.
I also need to find a way to make the top cover (hood?) seal to the rest of the motor when it is latched as the old wheather striping has wheathered badly and I am not sure if, or where, I can get more.
Any advice will be carefully considered and greatly appreciated.
MBA "

"The 1963 75hp Evinrude Select

"The 1963 75hp Evinrude Selectric has a 20amp stator located under the flywheel. I assume that this is the item that you're calling a rotor. And if so, I also assume that it is faulty as you stated that you can not obtain a reading between the wires.

The engine does have a transitorized voltage regulator(OMC #378335) but unfortunately it has been unavailable since 1985. I still have one in stock that I've used from time to time as test equipment, which I'm no longer using if you're interested.

I also have one good stator (unavailable since 1979), left in stock (OMC #378337) should you need one. If interested, contact me at [email protected] .

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back