Logo

Motor for 10 hp or less zone

frank

" Hi all,

I want to fish in

" Hi all,

I want to fish in a large, little used area 6X4 miles where motors of more than 10 hp are prohibited. This area is shallow and 70% is marsh. (shallow with weeds) Some folks are using a "mud motor" on small jon boats. They are slow and just too small to be safe. (12' or 14' long and 32" wide and the operator must stand while running) I saw a 9.8 hp Tohatsu motor that wieghs only 59 lbs and thought that it might plane my dory (15' X 5' and 150 lbs empty) if I kept the load light. The other thing I might try is a 9hp mud motor made by Go-devil or Mudbuddy. These engines weigh more than twice the 9.8, but they do well in weeds and shallow water. I don't think they are as efficient as an outboard and doubt they will get the dory up on plane with a 300 lb load plus the boat weight of 150 lbs. I also have a question regarding these small outboards? I have noticed that the 4 stroke (and some two stroke) engines are the same weight, C.I.D. (bore and stroke) and gear ratio by several manufacturers. The Tohatsu salesman claimed that they were all made by them? This seems at least possible so had to ask.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank "

" Frank,

If you rea

" Frank,

If you really want something that will plane you easily, many of the 9.9's are identical to the 15's. The only easily distinquishable characteristic is the decal - they sell decal kits. I say no more,

Jon "

" I would agree with Jon. Go

" I would agree with Jon. Go with a 9.9HPengine. I have an OMC that was a 9.9 and I converted to a 15 by changing the carburetor. Even when it was 9.9, it was a mean little engine. Would get the boat(13'6" 200+ Lb aluminum jonboat) on plane with 4 people and a lot of tackle in it. I would get to about 15 mph WOT. With light load, I would get to the mid 20s. I wouldn't hesitate to go with an older one either. They are fairly solidly built and the only major problem I've had with it was a blown head gasket and some minor stuff with carburetion that was probably more my problem than a design issue. "

" Dittos, my '76 Johnson 9

" Dittos, my '76 Johnson 9.9/15 pushes my 14' Lowe over 20 mph. with light load and has never needed anything but plugs and l/u grease changes. "

Back