Logo

Johnson 30hp model 30RLCOA 1985 model

D

David Pruett

"I have been having some real

"I have been having some real problems with this motor. It sounds like trash in the carb. However, I have completely removed the carb and cleaned out all the ports, I drained my tank and installed an in-line fuel filter, new lines everything.
Okay, the problem is when I crank the motor, it cranks fine and idles. But when you throttle, it just boggs down and goes 6mph. Once you put the load on the motor is won't go but you can rev it up while in nuetral by opening the butterfly valve on the carb. It does not cut off though. You might idle like this for a mile and then vroom, it just takes off and runs fine. But usually takes a while. Sometime it never runs right and you end up loading up and going home.
One day we tried revving up the motor and trying to suck out any trash that might have been in the carb. it worked, but not everytime. But we've since then cleaned out the carb.
i cannot understand how it will run fine one day and the next morning it starts all over again.
Does this sound like a power pack problem or maybe even a coil problem? If anyone has any suggestion that would be great."

"does the fuel bulb go flat
i

"does the fuel bulb go flat
it could be fuel pump, or electrical like u said

got the manual?"

"No, it does not go flat, In f

"No, it does not go flat, In fact i think its getting fuel. No I don't have a manual, I bought it used a couple of years ago."

"You most probably have the en

"You most probably have the engine totally out of synch.
Start the engine and let it run on idle. Then carefully adjust the idle mix screw until You have the higest rpm, then back off the screw 1/4 turn. Then stop the engine and put it in gear. Give throtle and check that the cam follower on the carb does not open until it hits the mark on the cam (on the ignition assy under the flywheel).
Then give full throtle and adjust the stopper on the rod going from the vertical throtle shaft to the cam follower on the carb so that the carb is opened 98-100% - NOT 101%!
Pull throtle back to neutral, and the stopper should be some 1/2" avay from the shaft.
Test Your engine at sea, no unloaded reving!!!!!!.

This is a rough description, it may pay off to have a manual at hand for future work on the engine."

Back