Logo

1998 Mercury Warning Horn

bthornhill

"Cranked my motor today and it

"Cranked my motor today and it ran about 2 minutes (idle speed) and the warning alarm went off. I immediately check to make sure water was "peeing" and yes there was a steady stream. Next I checked the oil level and it was full. I shut off the engine and checked to make sure nothing was covering the water intake and it looked good as well. Now, when i turn the key, the warning alarms comes on and will not go off(like it should during the ignition test). I let the engine cool for 3 hours and the warning alarm is still going off with the key turned one click (not cranked). I then cranked the motor again with a water boot attached and the alarm will not go off. Any help would be much appreciated!!
"

it could be a bad temp sensor

it could be a bad temp sensor
find them on the back of your motor and pull the wire out of them
now just check if the alarm is off
check back in after that

"Byron,

It would help if we

"Byron,

It would help if we knew the exact model that you have, but there could be a number of things causing this problem.

It could be the temperature sensor, as mentioned above, but it could also be a rotation sensor (on the oil pump), the oil level sensor (both in the remote tank and the reservoir on the engine), a faulty warning module, or a defective test circuit on the horn itself.

Without knowing exactly which model we are talking about I can not say which of these components you have, but this does cover all of the possibilities that I know of.

Tony"

"Byron,

You engnine does no

"Byron,

You engnine does not have a remote tank, warning module, or a rotation sensor, so the only possibilities are the temp sensor, oil level switch in the reservoir or the test circuit on the warning horn.

Tony"

"Thanks Tony, I really apprec

"Thanks Tony, I really appreciate the information. Hopefully this will be a fairly inexpensivie fix. I've ordered a repair manual, so hopefully it will help me isolate the problem. Do you have any suggestions on troubleshooting this? Also, if there is no rotation sensor does that mean my oil injection could fail without me knowing?

Thanks Again!
Byron"

warning horn modual is most li

warning horn modual is most likely bad un plug blue wires coming from oil tank sender if still sounds mod is bad

Back