Logo

Rebuild 2hp evinrude

J

john p

I need to rebuild my 2hp evin

I need to rebuild my 2hp evinrude dinghy kicker this winter. It is a 1972 model. I need new rings. any sugestion on where to get new rings and any hints on the rebuild? I bet most would throw it away...but I love to learn and it was my son's first engine...sentimental value
thanks

Try the Mastertech website.

Try the Mastertech website. He's listed in the parts section of this website. You might have to call him. He might not list 2HP parts. Good luck.

"John..... ON that small horse

"John..... ON that small horsepower single cylinder, it is very important that the cylinder wall be crisscrossed with the honing stone marks. If the cylinder walls are glazed, the rings will not break in, and compression will be lost. If you are not going to hone the cylinder wall, at least sand it with wet or dry 320 grit (black) sandpaper and mineral spirits to eliminate the glaze.

Joe
"

" john,

I'm throw

" john,

I'm throwing in my two cents to add to Joe's recomendation on honing. If he feels it's "very important", it must be. When I did my merc this was a scary operation, but I decided to take the advice and picked up a honer for about $15 at auto-zone.

It was very easy and, when done, that cylinder had 130 psi. I filled up a squirting oil can with two stroke oil and kept all surfaces soaked throughout the process. I wet the tool and cylinder first, and then turned the tool by hand (I didn't use a drill), as if screwing it into the cylinder (down about 1/3 turn while turning it) and then brought it up while rotating in the same direction. After a couple passes, I'd reverse direction (clockwise to counter-clockwise etc) and continue the process.

I was pretty easy and made a nice cross-hatch. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is that the tool is centered about correctly, else single edges of the stone will contact excessivly. When done, thoroughly wash (soap and water) all the grit out, dry it all off completely and then coat it with oil. I doubt on a 2hp it is neccesary, but I took a few pictures at important steps, which really helped me to confidently re-assemble.

Jon "

Back