Logo

Grinding noise

reelfriends

"I have a 225 evenrude, I just

"I have a 225 evenrude, I just put in water after a few months dry dock while going to reverse I have a grinding noise as i give more throttle reverse engages, forward works ok at this point. Is this a gear problem or could it be cable?"

"Most likely a 'shift adju

"Most likely a 'shift adjust' (cable adjust) problem. However befor trying to adjust, unhook the cable both at engine and at remote to check if it has got 'stuck' during storage. In that case:change it. Readjusting sticking cables is never seccessful in the long run!"

"Thanks I'll try that. Now

"Thanks I'll try that. Now that you mentioned sticking, my prior outings I had noticed going in & out of gear also while in gear throttel seamed a bit harder than normal when going from low to high RPM"

"I changed both cables and sti

"I changed both cables and still having grinding, How do I know that I have the adjustment correct? I had a hard time adjusting the gear cable. the adjustment knob is all the way down & if I adjust up when I shift forward it goes into gear but then it stops for throttle mode.
I did go out in open water and when I shift to reverse it grinds as I give more gas almost full gas it pops in and the gear catches"

"u have something not right
m

"u have something not right
make sure none of the cables have a kink in them
do u have a dealer near by u
u need to look at a rigging manual to find out how to adj, which i have no clue, but if i had the manual i could guide u through it and scan the right pages in
pm Joe reeves and see if he could scan them in for u"

"i'm confident about no ki

"i'm confident about no kinks, when not attached to engine everything glides smoothly, as when attached as i have now everything glides and when the gear rod snaps in reverse is when the grind happens"

i did stop at the repair shop

i did stop at the repair shop yesterday his outboard mechanic was off however the guy i showed scratched his head & could not help but felt that it still could be the adjustment. i did original try to set the adjustment knobs to the settings from the removed cables at that point they just would not work fuel & gears

"see if u can put it in gear m

"see if u can put it in gear manually, without cables attached
u might need to spin the prop

also check throttle manually"

"I disconnected the cable and

"I disconnected the cable and tried manualy it grinded but with force it went into gear. It felt like something is turning and a gear is looking for a entry point to engage,"

"check lower unit fluid, see i

"check lower unit fluid, see if u got a lot of metal shavings
either u got something not adjusted right, or something in the lower unit is worn"

"there are 2 screws on the sta

"there are 2 screws on the starboard side
u want the lowest one, the one on the bullet shaped of the lower unit, probably the same hight of the prop shaft
u need a flat head screw driver
just crack it a little and look
if water comes out, u need to drain it fully and re-fill it asap

where r u located"

"yea u can reach it with engin

"yea u can reach it with engine up
if u dock on the starboard side u might be able to get it

i'm in orlando, kind of a far drive to help u out, which i'm totally for it
i'll be down there for the miami show, are u going?"

"with engine up bottom screw i

"with engine up bottom screw is in the water, engine is on a bracket, tide should be up soon. as for the show if i'm in town i try, i travel alot never know when or where"

""pm Joe reeves and see if

""pm Joe reeves and see if he could scan them in for u"

J-I-T:
You just do not get it!
Read my previous note to You about what You may or may not post. Copying and posting copyrighted material is a violation of copyright laws! Referring to a manual when it comes to specs etc is a different case, but by right the source should be given.
Then back to the actual problem in this thread:
Check that the shift lever at the engine is vertical when in neutral. Then the angel of travel from neutral to forward/reverse should be the same. If The arm is not vertical, did You by any chance have the gearcase down for a water pump job during storage? If so the vertical shiftrod maight have been misadjusted.
If the arm is vertical and the angel of travel is longer to revers than forward before the gears engages, You may have a serious problem in the lower unit which should be checked out before You continue using Your boat!"

no Morten u do not get it
i n

no Morten u do not get it
i never said post it here did i
i think u have a problem with me
if u look he has posted other scans of manuals
do the research
stop pointing a finger man and relax

"No, I don't have a proble

"No, I don't have a problem with You!

You may have some basic knowledge about engines, but clearly not much of specific knowledge!

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12483/53573.shtml

My concern is that You some day may give advice that may put peoples safety at risk and/or inflict unnecceseary costs, one way or the other.
Even though it is stated in the 'posting guidelines' for the boards that each and one has to evaluate the advices given, that may sometimes be easily forgotten.
I just wish You would give some of Your postings a second thought.
My main concern is that our 'customers' may be safe at sea and if possible at reasonable costs!
If that means stepping on a toe or two, Yours or mine, ok!"

"I WAS NOT ABLE TO GET THE SCR

"I WAS NOT ABLE TO GET THE SCREW LOOSE TO CHECK THE OIL, IT IS TIGHT I USED LIQUID WRENCH WITH NO LUCK BEING ON A RAFT WITH NO SOILD STANCE IS SOME OF THE PROBLEM. ANYWAY I DID ALSO CHECK WHAT MORT SUGGESTED THE ARM IS VERTICAL BOTH DIRECTIONS AS FOR TRAVEL LENGTH FORWARD IS CLOSER THAN REVERSE ABOUT 1/2" LONGER TO REVERSE TO GRINDING THEN ABOUT ANOTHER 1/4" TO FORCE IN TO ENGAGE WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING. WHEN ENGINE IS OFF YOU FEEL IT ENGAGE AT THE CLOSER POINT."

I'm afraid You need to get

I'm afraid You need to get the boat out of the water and have a closer look at the lower unit.
As a start it might only be needed to pull the prop shaft bearing house out to check. I have seen cases where the bearing housing has come loose and been pushed backward. This will put the reversegear out of reach for the clutch dog and explain the difference in shift arm travel. I would not rcommend the engine to be used until this has been corrected/checked.

"ok thanks I will have to run

"ok thanks I will have to run her down to public ramp to put on the trailer, i'll have to do that this weekend gotta go to tampa a couple days on work. thanks again for the info i'll get back this weekend"

Back