Logo

Oil leak from base of oil level sensor 2001 40 ELPTO

B

ButchHarrell

"Had the sensor replaced 12 mo

"Had the sensor replaced 12 months ago and now oil leaking around the sensor as it fits from the bottom of the oil resevoir. There is what appears to be a plastic compression type fitting in the hole the sensor slides up into and secured rather crudely with a sheet metal screw and small metal disk. Do I have to purchase a new take or new sensor to get this leaked stopped. I cannot tell by looking at exploded views of take, sensor assembly. Thanks much"

i looked it up
i would take t

i looked it up
i would take the tank off and drain all the oil out

fill it with water and find out exactly where the leak is coming from

then fully dry out the tank and fix it with a sealant if u can

"Thanks, it is leaking around

"Thanks, it is leaking around where the oil sensor penetrates the oil tank. Any recommendations of what type of sealant would hold up exposed to the 2cycl oil?"

u will need oil proof sealant

u will need oil proof sealant
do a little research on west marine or boaters world or us boats

heck they might sell stuff here

"so the tank is where the seal

"so the tank is where the seal is for the bayonet sensor that comes in from the bottom, and not part of the sensor itself huh? Thanks Tony"

"Butch,

There is no seal; t

"Butch,

There is no seal; the sensor just slips into a recess in the bottom of the tank. It is activated by a magnet on the float in the tank. If there is a leak, then the tank is cracked.

Tony"

"Thanks, I was thinking the se

"Thanks, I was thinking the sensor was acutally in the oil, but from what you are saying, it is a magnet on the float that activates the sensor, and the sensor is dry, just activated by the magnet on the float that is close to or emcompassing the sensor in the recess. That makes sense. Yikes, last time I looked, the little plastic tank was $315.00plus. Thanks Tony"

"Shawn, here is SN....I looked

"Shawn, here is SN....I looked via web and found it $315...would love to know where I can get it cheaper. 2001 40 ELPTO, SN= OT314851"

well maybe im wrong but i come

well maybe im wrong but i come up with part # 1276-828163 a2 list 94.43 oil tank assembly im looking at your serial number range 3 cyl 2 stroke 40/50 hp

"I'm having the exact same

"I'm having the exact same problem today with my 2005 Mercury 50HP. Shawn Jacob, can you tell me where you found the oil tank assembly at that price?"

Back