Logo

Inboard propshaft removal

searay57

Contributing Member
"I have a 78 searay 30 sedan b

"I have a 78 searay 30 sedan bridge with twin 255 mercruiser in boards. I am tiring to remove the propshafts to replace the cutlass bearings and have the shafts straitened. My problem is I can not get the coupling off the shaft. the coupling unbolted, set screws came out, propeller is off, shaft slides in log, but coupler is stuck on (both engines) Any suggestions on how to get it off?"

"You have a couple options. I

"You have a couple options. If you have enough room you can slide the shaft back and use a good puller. You can also use a "Z" bar, which you put behind the prop nuts and whack with a large hammer. The third option is the easiest, and the one I ususlly use. You will need to obtain four grade 8 3/8" bolts with nuts. Remove your original coupler bolts. Slide the shaft back and put a socket, or some other round object, several inches long between the couplers, making sure that the shaft end resting on the shaft only and not touching the coupler. Install the new longer bolts and crank them down evenly. It will take a lot of force and it helps to tap around the sides of the coupler with a hammer, but the coupler will come off. You may have to install a longer socket once the coupler starts to move.

Goods luck, Rick"

"Thanks Rick,
There is no ro

"Thanks Rick,
There is no room for a puller, tried the z bar with no luck, and using bolts and a socket crossed my mind, but some how i never did it today. Tommorow i will give that a try.

Jeff"

"I used the socket in the cou

"I used the socket in the coupler method today. took about 1 hour for each saft. what a pain, but all the parts are at the shop getting referbished. thanks Rick"

"Good job Jeff. Now just reme

"Good job Jeff. Now just remember when reassembling that you want to watch the shaft index mark through the set screw hole as you drive the shaft back in. Have a helper with you to. If you go too far, you will end up pressing if back again to get the coupler aligned properly on the shaft.

Good luck
Rick"

Back