Logo

Velvet drive transmission

cal

Regular Contributor
"I have the Warner velvet driv

"I have the Warner velvet drive transmission off my Fireball 225. Is there a way to flush it out? I would like to dump all the old fluid, run some mineral spirits or deisel fuel through it and then put in new ATV. Any suggestions.
Thanks,
Cal"

"Cal cant help you out,my reso

"Cal cant help you out,my resorter is a jet drive. How has Grey Marine worked out for you? Have they been useful for you? Pat"

The only way I've found to

The only way I've found to do that is: run/ drain/ refill/ run/ drain/ refill/ run/ drain/ refill several times over.

I use a Mity-Vac to suck that stinky stuff out. The entire trans takes about 2 quarts of fluid--an astonishingly small quantity to my way of thinking--so you don't use much fluid doing the above.

Jeff

"Jeff, Pat, Andrew.
I oooopse

"Jeff, Pat, Andrew.
I oooopsed...Sent a reply to the email msg, sorry Andrew.
Pat, I am in contact with Gray Marine this week to see if we can finalize the deal. I sent them the cooling hoses also to see if they can match up with factory stuff.
Jeff, I'll try your method, I don't need the mighty vac,(I do have one) I'll just put in the new fluid, spin it a few times to circulate in the hydraulic valves and pumps and tip it upside down to drain
happy.gif
should be interesting to see what comes out. The previous owner said it slipped but according to the shop manuals I got from this site the plates are self adjusting and rely on pressure from the pumps. Me thinks the shifting cable was more out of adjustment than anything else.
Thanks for the info.
Cal"

"Ok, now that I have the engin

"Ok, now that I have the engine just about reassembled I want to make sure I use the right ATF in the Velvet drive. Since the recommended is type "A" and it is not available anymore what should I be using. I went to a local Checker store and they told me that the type "A" was for Chrysler xmissions. I picked up a Valvoline synthetic I think the bottle says "FA" etc. Before I put it is does anyone have a comment? Also I am going to add an oil filter to this engine. There are on-line kits for mounting remote filters which I am thinking of getting. I can run a line from the oil cooler supply to the filter and then to the cooler and back to the engine. Will this work?
Thanks,
Cal"

"DON'T use a filter on the

"DON'T use a filter on the trans (if that's what yu meant). Okay for the engine. Lots of people use them. Not sure if you need an oil cooler--oil in marine engines tends to run too cold. I'd recommend Dextron III for the tranny and not synthetic--the seals may not be compatible. Besides, the non-synthetic stuff'll work as well and is cheaper.

Jeff"

Velvet drives require Dexron b

Velvet drives require Dexron because of its frictional charictoristics. Slippage isusally the result of internal seal wear and losssof pressure. 20 years ago a seal and plate kit was 110 bucks don't know today. normallythere is a filter screen in the bottom of the unit.

"The engine oil cooler is orig

"The engine oil cooler is original equip, I'm just reinstalling it. No filter on the velvet drive, just a screen. I mailed Valvoline and asked about the ATF+4 effects on seals in older velvet drives vs Dextron III. I'll post the answer when I get it. I was also told that most of the differences in ATFs is the detergent content sorta like old motor oil foaming etc.
Jeff/ check out the latest pics of the engine on the other msg bd.
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12512/13970.shtml
Got the starter motor installed today along with the wiring for the alternator,coil,volt reg and safety switch for the velvet drive. Tomorrow I'm getting the new points,cap,plug wires and putting the carbs back on. Should be just about ready to go. Now it will sit on the cart with an old blanket draped over it until this summer.
Cal"

"The reply from Valvoline was

"The reply from Valvoline was to use the Dexron III. Theirs of course
proud.gif
"

Back