Logo

My 1989 Johnson 60 HP outboard has a warning buzzer that will not go off The buzzer is for low fuel overheat or oil I changed the lower unit oil reins

" I have a similar problem on

" I have a similar problem on my 1992 115 HP Evinrude. It usually occurs at low idle, and have found it to be related to the oil reservoir. If I squeeze the oil primer bulb, the buzzer stops. Still haven't solved the problem either, but would gladly welcome some professional advice. "

" The problem could be in one

" The problem could be in one of several areas. As indicated it sounds like an overheating problem. I would check or replace the water pump impeller, if you haven't done so already, especially if the warning sound is a continious sound. An intermittent or "broken" beep would show a problem with the oiling system, in which case you would need to check the VRO pump and or the oil tank, lines, or sender in the tank. For Thurston this is the area I would check as when you squeeze the bulb you are either removing an air bubble in the oil system or re-priming the oil pump portion of the VRO pump. A continued problem with this would probably require a new VRO pump-costly. Ignoring it would be even more costly-powerhead! Another possibility is the alarm horn could be defective. "

"Here is some further informat

"Here is some further information that I should have put at the beginning... thanks for the answers so far!

I have not done anything to the motor except change lower unit oil, re-install battery and start. I did however, prime the motor with the "flood" lever located at my forward / reverse console.(I read afterwards that that is not a good thing.)
Last year when I put the boat up, it ran fine? I'm baffled any suggestions will be appreciated. NOTHING IS FROZE UP I TURNED IT OFF WHEN THE BUZZER WENT OFF - I DID TRY AND RUN IT AGAIN AFTER A FEW MINUTES AND THE BUZZER WENT OFF AGAIN.Please E-mail suggestions to [email protected]"

"Eldon..... Flood Lever?? Are

"Eldon..... Flood Lever?? Are you speaking of the throttle warm up lever? Elaborate a little on that aspect if you will. That engine, when you first trun the key on, should energize the warning horn for just one short beep. If it does not do that, have that horn replaced. Now, the beep that you speak of that comes on after a short running period, could be one of three different beep warnings: A steady constant beep would indicate a overheating problem. A beep every twenty (2) seconds would indicate that your oil tank is down to (approx) the 1/4 level mark. A beep ever other second would indicate that there is either a oil restriction or a air leak in the oil line somewhere, or that the VRO pump has failed. If you should have one of the older oil tanks which does not have the large rectangular filter within it, but rather has the short cone type filter... I'd strongly suspect that the filter is clogged. Since you state that the beeping stops when you pump the oil primer bulb, I suspect that the beep you hear is the every other second type warning. Check the filter, and also check for restrictions and air leaks. If you find no problem there, and the warning horn stops beeping when you pump the oil primer bulb, then starts beeping again after a few minutes... I would strongly suspect that the VRO pump has failed.

Joe
"

"Correction to the above at li

"Correction to the above at line nine (9). Should be "twenty (20)". Not "twenty (2)".

Joe
"

" Joe Reeves, I have disassemb

" Joe Reeves, I have disassembled, checked & cleaned the oil reservoir, pick-up filter, etc. as well as the checked the oil line to the VRO fitting to find all okay. Is it possible that after 9 yrs of off-season neglect, that the point or jet where the oil enters the VRO & actually merges with the gas could become clogged. At low idle, the oil buzzer starts it's intermittent beeping until I either rev the engine or squeeze the oil primer bulb. Since, at low idle, a dirty jet might cause restricted flow, is it possible to put an additive in the oil reservoir to clean the jet in the VRO? I have always observed the oil reservoir level going down at a ratio of 1 gal to 2 gas fill-ups at approx 25 gals per fill-up, so I feel that no damage is occurring. As a pretty fair mechanic, & reading thru the Clymer manual for my engine, should I attempt to tackle a VRO replacement, as it looks pretty simple? "

"From what you've had to s

"From what you've had to say in your last message, and with the troubleshooting you've done, your problem would be caused by one of three (3) things. 1: The crankcase pressure from the cylinder that operates the VRO has become weak due to piston failure or a crankcase leak. 2: The line that supplies operating pressure to the VRO has either a air leak or the flame arrestor is clogged. 3: The VRO pump is failing. Unfortunately, from experience, it is usually a failing $$$ VRO pump. And yes, changing the VRO pump is pretty straight forward. Just make sure to eliminate any air in the oil line before you connect it to the new VRO, then pump the oil bulb slightly to prime the VRO with oil.

Joe
"

" I have the same problem with

" I have the same problem with a '88 40 hp Johnson. Recently purchased a whaler w/ the engine. Previous owner hadn't used it since last summer.

There is no oil hooked up to the VRO intake nozzle on the motor. Instead it is sealed off and I am running it with oil/gas mix instead. I believe this is acceptable according to the service manual.

However, the alarm starts after 2-3 minutes of running. Does not go off when hooked up to hose on land and at idle. Water is flowing out, and it is cool.

Any ideas? Could the sensor be shot? "

I have a 96 200efi mariner ou

I have a 96 200efi mariner outboard and both lights and buzzers are going off. One light is for low oil and the other is the overheat light. It also haves a lost of power. I have change the low oil sender in the tank and the 0il pump pickup sender. I have also cleaned all ground wires on engine. Do anybody know the water pressure at idle and at high rpms. If I was to check temp at the head with a heat gun how hot should the engine run.

Jesse

Back