Logo

What is the Best way to clean this corrosion

mokaction

Regular Contributor
"I have never had a block this

"I have never had a block this corroded? How would you clean this off?

Larry
53699.jpg
53700.jpg
"

"Your problem seems to be more

"Your problem seems to be more than just cleaning, but have the parts boiled out by a radiator shop and then evaluate what to do!"

It should be "easy" si

It should be "easy" since this is the third motor. Just kidding. Take it to a shop that is equipped to sand blast.

"Sand blasting is a quick way

"Sand blasting is a quick way of killing an aluminium casting! At the most a glass blasting, byt watch out!"

"What you are looking at is pi

"What you are looking at is pieces of the ring embedded in the aluminum of the head. Most mechanics do no believe in re-using a head in that condition. I am told that this creates all sorts of problems, including pre-ignition from the hot pieces of steel, to the potential for bits of it comming loose after the rebuild. I would never re-use it. Good used heads are cheap and plentiful for most of these engines."

"Sand blasting is a quick way

"Sand blasting is a quick way of killing an aluminium casting! At the most a glass blasting, byt watch out!"

"I think I mis-read your post.

"I think I mis-read your post. Sorry. If you are just talking about the block, please disregard my previous reply! Saltaway claims that it works wonders on these issues. I haven't tried it yet. Don't know if it will tackle a job like that or not."

"sleeper, I was told by some o

"sleeper, I was told by some of my machanic friend to just clean off the heads, and pound out the dents with a hammer and punch. Making sure that all the steel fragments are removed. Then grind down all the sharp edges smooth.

Larry"

"I only re-used one once. Did

"I only re-used one once. Didn't keep it long enough to find out if it was going to give me grief later on. Several of the pros on this site have convinced me otherwise. Used heads are cheap, I personally wouldn't risk it. By the way, there is a guy on Ebay with a complete rebuild kit which includes everthing, as I recall, for around $700. Seems like a deal."

"Sleeper,

Ya, that is Lee,

"Sleeper,

Ya, that is Lee, He has been around for years. Shop in IL. Tri Marine. Really good prices, for GLM parts. Also complete set for only $670 and 20 for shipping. Can't bet that deal. I like GLM parts, they are made in monrovia, CA.. Live about a hours drive from them, but can't buy for manufacture, have to go through a shop..

Also as for the heads, have rebuild another motor with head worst then my present ones, and ran great for 2 years before I sold it.

Larry"

"Now you have me curious. Wha

"Now you have me curious. What were you told the reason for the fried cylinder was? Only clue I ever had during a rebuild, with similar issues, was that most of the rings were badly carboned into the ring grooves. Completely stuck. My theory is that once this happens it somehow puts unnatural loads on the sides of the pistons until they score, and then break the rings. (I rebuilt a six like yours, found one cylinder trashed, one with a scored piston and cylinder, but not as bad, but all with stuck rings.)"

"Well just got done taking the

"Well just got done taking the whole motor apart, had a close look at the rings and found 4 out of six of the oil rings to be frozen in there groves. I did do a de-carb but didn't work when I first got the motor. As I took it apart, I found rust on the lower crankshaft. Also took a closer look at the rings and found that there some of the coating was coming off on the ring to cyl side.

Over all the bearings and all the other parts of the motor were like new. Also had a close look at all the oil seals and they fell apart when I try to flex them. So that is were the water was leaking in. So really bad compression for a 2 stroke block.

I will do a block compression test when I put it back together. Taking motor to the machine shop tomorrow. Looks like I will have 2 cyl bored out to 3.520 or 3.530 and have the other cyl honed out. Looks like 1,3,5,6 cyl are like new still, but will hone and replace rings. As you know 2 and 4 are messed up do to the ring breaking in the cyl. So there will be a complete replacement or piston and rings.

Larry"

You going with aftermarket pis

You going with aftermarket pistons? I used Wiseco. No complaints.

"Just drop off block to laslee

"Just drop off block to lasleeve.com should have it back next week. I will us wiseco if we have to bore out to 3.544 if we bore to 3.530 then I will be using GLM. I really don't like Sierra pistons. Have had some issue with them in the passed. I really like Wiseco piston, which I have used on my 112 xflow 96. Really reliable. Also they are from a long line of racing pistons Wiseco that is.

Also did some comparson with GLM and they are as close to OMC piston that you can get. Will let you know. Also I will not be stressing out the motor at all. My boat is over powered with the 225hp. It is only a 20 foot Wilson at 4500lbs. Really cuts the water good here in Ventura, CA for the Channel Islands.

Larry"

Larry
make sure u have at lea

Larry
make sure u have at least 30 thousands of an inch clearance with the wiesco pistons
the have a high silica which cause them to expand more
also u need to let the motor warm up for at least 2 mins every time
how i know this is from my many jet ski rebuild kits
it is noted in the piston kits

"Well I hope to use GLM piston

"Well I hope to use GLM pistons. We will see after the block gets back from the machines. He said he might get it bored out to 3.530 in #2cyl, but if he can't clean it up it will have to go to 3.544 with is a wiseco piston. If I do that then I will try to replace all piston with wiseco, but my have to mix and match with 1 wiseco and the rest glm pistons. Had any one ever mixed and match like that??

Larry"

Back