Logo

90hp Mariner 1988 3 cylinder intermittant spark problems

zeek

"Hi ,
My friend recently boug

"Hi ,
My friend recently bought a boat and we are having some problems .

The boat had no grunt , couldnt even get on the plain .
Discovered top spark plug was cleaned like new .
* rotated spark plugs and again top cylinder spark plug cleaned up like new .
* checked for spark and found top cylinder had no spark!!

*hmmmm cleaned The leads , found top coil green/red and black wires rusty , cleaned them up and cleaned up all wires from coils to powerpack .

* checked again and got spark on all three , took it out for a run and ran great .

We thought the problem was fixed , so couple of days later my friend takes the boat out again and same problem again , no power , checked and no spark on top cylinder , hmmmm

* so we rotated the coils , put the top coil at the bottom and bottom coil at the top , thinking that if the problem transferred itself to the bottom , then it would be an intermittant faulty coil !

well next time it played up we checked and yes bottom cylinder no spark .
*replaced the coil and lead and guess what still no spark hmmm.
now we lost it we put the original bottom coil that we now put at the top , back to the bottom and this new coil to the top and guess what !

we got spark on all three no worrys ????

so now im completely lost ?

could this be an intermittant powerpack problem ?
as all three coils get there power from there
or
could this be a stator intermittand problem ?

Help would be very much appreciated ,

obviously we would have to wait for the problem to occur ,but when it does
how do i check the power pack output ?
and
how do i check the stator voltages inputting into the the power pack .

the problem when it occurs only ever happens when motor is started and going into gear to take off ,
never happens once in motion , and does not happen when moving on the plain and does not all of a sudden lose power , seems to happen (when it happens )once switched off and kept off for like an hour or 2 and u go to start it up again and take off , occasionally you go to take off and the problem is there (no power ) and all of a sudden it works and power comes on again , (ie spark returns on the cylinder not workin)

thanks in advance guys
does this model havce a thermistat ?
if the previous owner took the thermistat out
could this effect anything ?

Sam
ps
serial No 9506606 1988( i thinks ) 90hp 3 cylinder"

"u should have a t-stat and po

"u should have a t-stat and poppet valve
u need them in!

buy a shop manual
u need to test components

i do not know the Resistance for stator or triggers, but the coils primary should be less than 1 ohm and secondary in more than 1 k ohms"

Back