Logo

78 Evinrude 85 HP Waterpump

krusty

"My son an I just recently bou

"My son an I just recently bought a boat and this 85 HP motor. It really needed alot of TLC. The one thing we do want to do is replace the water pump. I have a complete pump kit and want to know if someone can tell me the exact replacement procedure from start to finish. Is there a web site that could provide this, or hopefully one of you reading this? We did start the motor momentarily and noted that we had no water coming out of pee hole. Thanks You!"

"The water, on a engine that s

"The water, on a engine that size, must be turned on full force when running the engine on a flushette.

The water telltale outlet has a habit of becoming clogged with salt, foreign material, etc. Clean out the fitting and hose to make sure all is clear.

Purchase a service manual to obtain full information pertaining to replacing the water pump assy. That can get a little involved in explaining every detail of that procedure here. However......

The shift rod must be disconnected at the area under the bottom carburetor (3/8" shoulder hex bolt). Four obvious bolts at the lower unit side areas must be removed. Remove the 5/8" hex bolt under the cavitation plate, the trim tab, and a bolt under the trim tab. That should allow you to drop the lower unit.

NOTE: DO NOT TURN THE LOWER UNIT SHIFT ROD! The measurement of the shift rod in neutral from the top surface of the lower unit to the top center of the shift rod hole is critical and must be exact!"

"Thanks Joe,

I realized tha

"Thanks Joe,

I realized that I would have to opt for a repair manual however, I do appreciate the added information you provided. Those little incidentals go along way when doing a job correctly; again thanks. Krusty"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
53673.jpg

This is the bolt that joe was refering to."

Sorry guys I am going to have

Sorry guys I am going to have to say I have posted the wrong picture here because the 78 was different and I will look in my notes and find the right one I hope. sorry for the misinformation.

"Williard,
Thanks for the inp

"Williard,
Thanks for the input. Hope you can find the
picture showing this bolt. Krusty"

"Joe,
I see where you mention

"Joe,
I see where you mentioned the cleaning of the fitting and tubing leading from the water pump.
Would I use a wire such as a clothes hanger or maybe compressed air. Any idea how long this tube is, and is it the tube I see near the top of head?"

The fitting and tube I speak o

The fitting and tube I speak of is the plastic fitting at the starboard rear of the hood pan. This has a short rubber tube attached to it which leads to the bottom portion of the exhaust baffle plate.... the large plate between the cylinder heads.

What is the model number of that engine? I cannot visualize any tube you speak of near the top of the head.

Back