Logo

78 115hp Evinrude running problem

E

Earnest Finney

I have 1978 115hp Evinrude wi

I have 1978 115hp Evinrude with a running problem. The motor starts and idles fine and has no hesitation. After about 15 minutes its starts to die. The primer bulb is new and the fuel is clean. When it does it the primer bulb is collapsed to where I can't pump it. To make it run normal I have to momentarily disconnect the fuel line from the tank. Thanks for your help.

"Earnest.... You have a fuel r

"Earnest.... You have a fuel restriction at the fuel tank. If you have a built in tank, I would suspect that the "anti siphon valve" is sticking. It would be the fitting that the rubber fuel hose is attached to. If it exists, knock out the inner components, converting it to a straight through fitting.

Joe
"

" Earnest,

Could also be a

" Earnest,

Could also be a stuck check valve in the primer bulb, no question a restriction, or a clogged tank vent. Mud wasps like to nest in the vent fittings (Assuming it is a built-in tank). Remove the vent hose at the tank and blow back through it. Air should flow freely. If all else fails, remove and inspect the pick-up tube in the tank. Some have a fine screen covering the end which can become clogged over the years and restrict fuel flow. Also be sure hoses are not crushed or kinked. Not only is this condition bothersome, is is also harmfull to your engine. If you are not getting fuel, you're not getting oil. This is a problem waiting to become a disaster. Good luck.
Rick "

Checked the fuel line fitting

Checked the fuel line fitting at the tank and found it to worn out and not fitting tight on the brass fitting on the tank. Replaced the complete fuel line w/primer bulb and will try out on the water this weekend. Thanks for your help.
Earnest

Back