Logo

Adjustment of throttle control

L

lance warren

Just got a 16 wellcraft with

Just got a 16 wellcraft with 50hp Johnson 2002 and the is very little travel in the throttle control on the console from idle to WOT. Is there normally an adjustment on single lever controls to get a little more throw. The motor is going from idle to wot so I assume that the adjustment must be in the control on the console. I'm not sure of control manufacturer.

" lance,

Are you speak

" lance,

Are you speaking of the warm up lever or actual shift/throttle lever.. I've got the side mount setup from 2001 (pretty sure it's the same) and there is pleanty of travel in it. I don't think you can adjust the amount of travel, the only adjustment is to get the cables correctly lined up w/ the outboard so that there is not excess tension at WOT or idle and for shifting..

Double check to be sure you have the throttle and shift cables correctly installed.. if you somehow reversed them it would seem like you needed more travel for throttle, as the shifting mechanisms would bottom out. The throttle and shift also travel in completely different scales, so you could be getting to WOT with very little travel that way.

As for seperate lever controls - assuming all is well, you aren't going to get much more travel with them. What you will get is direct control over the throttle; you can set the idle a little lower and just give it a little extra when needed; with single lever controls you are forced to set the idle high enough so that the engine will idle in gear and in all conditions. Dual lever controls are also simpler, as a warm up lever is not neccesary. The downside is that they are more difficult to operate and will allow the user to operate the engine in potentially damaging or unsafe ways (full throttle in reverse, shifting at too high an RPM, running full throttle in neutral). It's like a stick compared to an automatic, personal preferance.

Jon "

Back