Logo

Yamaha comparison

whfmznb

" Thanks to all for your input

" Thanks to all for your input on my previous post.
I am looking at the 18hp Tohatsu/Nissan for a 14' Sea Nymph 14R, but but could also see the
2-stroke 25hp Yamaha(as I'm sure you know, the T/N 18hp is a 4-stroke)as an alternative, since the boat is max-rated for a 25hp. The T/N 25hp is a 3 cylinder and, I'm thinkin', way too heavy
(151 lb). So, basicly, whata ya think, 2 stroke
Yamaha 25 or the 4 stroke T/N 18? "

2stroke engines are always li

2stroke engines are always lighter with less maint. and have twice the torque as any 4stroke.
My question is why jap motors why not a real American outboard???
jupiterzeke

" I have a 14' Sea Nymph &

" I have a 14' Sea Nymph "Big Water" which I think is the same as your boat. I bought it in 1980 with a manual start 15 HP Johnson. I took it off two years ago and put on a 25 HP Johnson electric start. If I had it to do over again I would buy an electric start 15 HP 2 stroke engine. My reasons are; I can plane 3 guys and gear with the 15, the boat will plane at a lower speed and sit flat with the 15 and only me in it. With the 25 the bow raises up too high and I have to go very fast to get it down no matter how the motor is trimmed. I carry the spare trailer tire and place all gear in the very front when I am alone in it.
The 25 uses more fuel than the 15 so that if I am going very far I carry two tanks rather than one. BTW my brother has a 14R and uses a 9.8 engine so he can go on restricted horse power lakes and with the two of us and gear it does just fine.
I hope this is the type of information you were asking for, but it is only my opinion and conditions may well determine that you need more power.

Best regards,
Sebastian Frank "

" Most of the 2-stroke 25'

" Most of the 2-stroke 25's (not sure about 4-strokes) are 2 clyinders; as for the mercs, the 20 & 25 weigh the same and so do the 25 & 30 Johnsons, all these engines are around 125 lbs, all solid designs. When shopping for one in this range, I considered the merc 4 strokes because of the price and free extended warranty; I was actually told at two shops that these sized 2-strokes just don't really break and I wouldn't need it with them anyway.

The Johnson and Merc 10-15 HP two strokes are also in the same weight range - around 75 lbs. I think the Merc 15 HP four stroke is pretty light, under 100 lbs.. a decent subsitute for a 2-stroke weight wise. If weight is an issue, I would stick to 2-strokes though.

Merc's will run you a little less, competing in price with those Nissan/Tohatsu. I looked at a few merc 25's that were a season or two old, and had been run in the salt - it was pretty disgusting, so I set my sights on the Bombardier/Johnson/Evinrude. I think for fresh water it wouldn't make a difference, those are very popular engines. The nice thing about merc is you know the parts will be readily available 99% of the time (price is another story, but that's outboards).

As for that boat.. what's it have in it other than aluminum? To give you an idea, I have a 16 foot (aluminum) starcraft holiday I've been restoring and converting to a center console; it is rated for an 85 HP. This boat does have a wooden floor with some seating etc.. but, it's only a couple feet longer and aluminum - how much difference does that make? It seems that 14 footer might be best powered by the 25 HP two stroke.. I wouldn't think that the extra 50 lbs from engine would make a big difference at all. One option though is w/ electric start, get longer cables and put the battery up in the bow, that should solve the planing problem.

Jon "

Back