Logo

Ford Interceptor marine engine

"I have a 1957 Chris Craft Cap

"I have a 1957 Chris Craft Capri that I am trying to restore. The boat has been in my family since new and early in my life my father which has passed away replaced either or both the transmisson and gear box with another transmission. I have been trying to find the hull numbers to determine what the boat came with new. It currently has a bored 312 with side draft carbs. The motor was remounted and moved several inches forward in to the cokpit and the front of the engine was raised about 6 inches to line up the drive shaft. I would like to find and install the orginal tranmisson and gear box to get the engine back into the engine compartment I will attach a pick of what is currently in the boat. I also need a water punp for the 312
170621.jpg
transmisson

"Neal,

Do you have a water

"Neal,

Do you have a water pump that could be rebuilt? if so my dad and I could rebuild it for you as we have rebuilt the 5 for our 312's and a couple other peoples. As far as your transmission goes I would venture to say it oringinally had an dearborn C class with the offset reduction gear box which allowed for the engine to sit level in the boat (no need for a six inch lift in the front). These setups are hard to find as most people took them off when they started having problems and started to lose reverse, and most of them got thrown out. *if only they would have changed the oil in them regularly... If you are in search of this dearborn set up with the reduction gear box let me know I think there is a guy in Michigan that has one.

Also if you are going to rebuild your engine and need replacement decals I have them available.

Steve"

"Steve, No I do not have the w

"Steve, No I do not have the water pump for the 312. It was replaced with a home made one. Yes I am intrested in contacting the person you mentioned about the transmission if you could forward the infromation to me here or at [email protected] when you get a chance. Lastly what is in the decal pack you mentioned and what are you asking for it?
170666.jpg
waterpump

"I have had several of you ask

"I have had several of you asking what the decals are that I have for the 312 so attached is a picture. I also have a decal set for a 285hp Interceptor that was in the 66 and 67 Century Arabians they are Black on Chrome. Any other decals can be recreated if you have a good picture and accurate deminsions.
Email me with questions.
170795.jpg
312 replacement decal set

"here is a picture of my rebui

"here is a picture of my rebuilt 312 w/ the 10 degree offset reduction gear box dressed with my replacement decals.
170801.jpg
Rebuilt 1957 Ford 312 w/ replacement decals

"hi all, my dad and i are tryi

"hi all, my dad and i are trying to restore a 1964 hydrdyne ski boat. not sure of the engine size. it's a v8 and has a ford interceptor i/o. it has 160 on the lower unit housing above the interceptor logo. trying to figure out where the drain plug is for the gear case. can only find a vent plug on top, any help on the engine would be great. we hooked a battery up and it roared to life. pretty cool as most of the work thus far has been cosmetic."

"Putting heads back on a 292 I

"Putting heads back on a 292 Interceptor, in a 50's Century Resorter. Anyone know the torque specs for these heads offhand?"

"Can anyone identify the trans

"Can anyone identify the transmission pictured in Neil MIllers post, this tread, on June 3, 2008? I have what appears to be the same gear, but don't know what it is. It doesn't look like any gearbox in my Interceptor parts manual, and I cannot find any numbers stamped on the block where they should be. The number block on the front cover is blank. This is supposed to be a "62 292. It has the oil hoses and an oil cooler in the water line. I am especially interested to know how to check or add fluid."

Best I can tell it looks like

Best I can tell it looks like the velvet drive i just got rid of but I could be wrong... would have to see more pictures

"Would there be a website or h

"Would there be a website or how I can decode and get all the specs for a marine engine interceptor off a tollycraft 64 17ft inboard engine, this is the number on the engine timing cover #ncd22r31720 thanku"

"Thanks to Steven's pics I

"Thanks to Steven's pics I thing I have a 312, I need to get engine rebuilt gasket, manual, and starter, mine is frozen. thankyou"

"Is there any other informatio

"Is there any other information on the engine I can get to figure out the size of the engine. I have the timing cover numbers#ncd22r31720, It has 2 carb, a tag 2618 s or 8, and b37 on the top of the engine carb set up, transmision is Velvet Drive Model ASI-70cR Ratio 1:1 4738 so far. Thankyou"

If memory serves the heads sho

If memory serves the heads should have a marking on one end. I know there are others on this site that are much more knowledgeable than I that can help you with this!!! Or your local engine shop could tell you what you have!

"Thankyou Steven, I found the

"Thankyou Steven, I found the starter and the gasket at San Pablo Automotive, I told them it is a 312, and the machine shop said they will make sure."

"Norbert, From my interceptor

"Norbert, From my interceptor manual it decodes the serial number. Yous does not match the format exactly but here goes" I dont know what the 'NC" is, could that be "NO"? On the front of my engine it starts with 'NO:, but the the rest is blank, alas.
After that "D" means a 292 CI 185 HP, 22 means a Type 70 Warner gear with direct drive (maybe yours was changed?), Sherwood water pump, special mounts, and Mallory ignition. "R" meand RH rotation, "3" means 1963 and 1720 is the S/N.
I have no numbers on my engine or drive. I think I also have the Velvet Drive A700, but am not sure. Could you post a pic of your drive?"

"Brian, thankyou, I also found

"Brian, thankyou, I also found these numbers on the side of the heads on the left side, #c2ae c015c and I check the engine number on the timing cover and it looks like NO.San Pablo Automotive also said it is a 292 4.8.You thing its worth rebuilding this engine or should I replace it with a totaly different engine, I realy was hoping that its a 312, now im kind of debating rebuilt or replace. or maybe replace it with a bigger cam, your thoughts. Thankyou Brian for all your help."

"Brian, I am having trouble up

"Brian, I am having trouble up loading pics, but I found one that looks just like mine on Keaton Boats 63 keaton inboard. Thanks again Brian for decoding my engine ID #"

"Norbert,

When I first got

"Norbert,

When I first got this boat in May, I thought I might replace the engine. Now I have it running pretty well. It would depend on the economics, I guess. It is not the original engine in the Chris Craft, but it looks cool with the side draft carbs, I love the way it sounds, and I like telling people it's a T-bird engine. Out here in Hawaii, it may be difficult to find a good engine rebuilder anyway."

"Thanks Brian, now that I know

"Thanks Brian, now that I know what I have, thanks to U, I was able to find what I need to rebuild the engine along with a machine shop, I think I can keep the cost down under $2500, which is half the cost of replacing the engine with 300 hp. chevy, plus I dont realy need all that power. I will use it mostly for wake surfing and boarding only here at SF bay area. Thanks again Brian, I will post pics as soon as I can."

"Norbert,

Thank you for men

"Norbert,

Thank you for mentioning the keatonboat.com website. It has come a long way in the past couple of years. Only the earliest Keatons used the 312 Interceptor and engine type was an option since they were all made to order. I believe the 63 you saw there was mine. I too love it when people say "wow! A T-Bird engine" which is why I put the T-Bird valve covers on it. I've had VERY good luck with mine and have no trouble with the mechanical parts OR the carburetion. I wish you many hours of non stop fun!!
294085.jpg

"Matt,
Your transmission look

"Matt,
Your transmission looks just like the one on my 292 interceptor, only yours is much prettier! Do you have any info on that transmission?. What fluid does it use?. I have a square head plug just outboard of the shift lever. Is that where you check fluid?. It looks like you have a name plate on the port mounting. There is nothing there on mine. Is the model number A700 correct? I am also missing the cover over the starter bendix, so the drive gets splashed with salt water. Any idea where to get a cover like that? Thanks for any info you can give me. Love all the photos on your web post!"

"Brian, Im afraid I cant help

"Brian, Im afraid I cant help you with the starter part but theres gotta be someone on this forum that can. My trans is a model B with a dipstick but the numbers on the tag are so faded I cant read them. It calls for type A fluid. I put a few pics up for reference.

294173.jpg
lid"">

294174.jpg
tag"">

294175.jpg
id

"I am restoring a Correct Craf

"I am restoring a Correct Craft with a 312, 215 hp engine. The engine was newly rebuilt when we bought the boat. To date, we have put about 15 hours on it and it runs great. It's got guts and I love the sound. There are 2 issues I have to deal with. It was converted from side draft to a down draft using an automotive intake. There is a channel that allows exhaust to pass from one head to the other and the manifold gets hot in this area and has burned the paint off. I'm told the channel should be blocked off. Does anyone know about this and have suggestions for blocking it off.

The other issue is a venting problem. There is a pcv valve, but there is also a vent that runs into the old flame arrestor for the side drafts. I'm guessing this vent should either be blocked off or vented to the flame arrestor? Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

"

Bruce - the 2 challenges you f

Bruce - the 2 challenges you face can be taken care of at the same time! You need to either block off the arrestor hole in your valleypan or replace it with an automotive type. The exhaust crossover can be blocked with a couple of steel plates that are tolerance fit to either the heads or the intake. Good looking engine BTW!

"Brock, thanks for the respons

"Brock, thanks for the response. An auto valley pan sounds like an easy fix. I would think that a machine shop ought to be able to fit steel plates to the intake. I need to swap the carb for a marine carb as well, so this winter will be a good time to do it. We bought the boat as an unfinished project. The engine had be rebuilt, but never run and sat 3 years prior to this summer. So far, it runs better than our 2003 Indmar, and I was surprised how it pins you to the seat."

"I have 2 complete ford FE mar

"I have 2 complete ford FE marine engines complete with drives, exhaust manifolds, etc. right and left engines. it says 250 hp on valve cover. How do I find out which engines these are and what they are worth. They were removed from a boat that was scrapped years ago. they ran at that time. any info would be appreciated."

Back