Logo

18hp Tohatsu

whfmznb

I've read that "this

I've read that "this is the very best outboard motor that I never heard of". Also...18hp from a basic 9.9? Prices look good too.

Whataya think out there.

Thanks for your opinions.

"W,

When a customer says To

"W,

When a customer says Tohatsu, I always answer "gesundheit".

It is a piece of junk. They are good as anchors.

Tony"

" With all due respect to Tony

" With all due respect to Tony, I've heard just the opposite, that Nissan/Tohatsu is an excellent engine that is used by many commercial fishermen and crabbers, etc, around the world. From what I've heard they are quite bulletproof, but that there may be issues when it comes to getting parts or getting them worked on. But I'm not an expert like Tony, nor have I owned one, I'm just going on what I've seen posted over on other boating forums. "

whfmznb; If I were you I woun

whfmznb; If I were you I woundn't listen to Tonyob. I own a 1990 90 hp. Tohatsu that gets used once or twice a week all year long and haven't any trouble with. If you research them you will find that they are the oldest outboard manufacture in Japan. Good luck on whatever you decide.

" To all,

That is just my o

" To all,

That is just my opinion, and I admit I might have gone too far. While I do work on all engines (even those things), my personal feeling is that anyone who buys other than Johnson or Evinrude is nuts.

Tony "

" I too, like the Johnson and

" I too, like the Johnson and Evinrude best but also think that there are other good options on the market. I would put more weight on the experiences of those who have had and who work on them than my opinions. I'm just reporting secondhand information about the Nissan/Tohatsus, and I've never heard anyone complain about them. "

It pains me to say this: the

It pains me to say this: the worst Japanese outboard is still better than the best American outboard. They certainly won't go chapter-11 in order to avoid warranty claims.

" The Tohatsu/Nissan line are

" The Tohatsu/Nissan line are good, useful no frills motors. In fact they're as good as the OMC's of the 60's and just as simple to maintain. As to "Made in America" look at the labels on all the small motors from OMC and Merc in recent years, my brother's '99 Johnson 5 hp. was made in SE Asia, probably by Tohatsu. "

" Beware of rednecks with &#34

" Beware of rednecks with "Buy American" bumper stickers on Fords and Chevies (that were made in Brazil, Mexico, ...)
I can only write about my experience with my own Tohatsu M40D2. Solid, powerful, reliable, simple. Very bumpy idle, parts and mechanics are hard to find, repair manual is almost worthless. I like my Yamaha better only because of parts availability. Mercury: loud, strong, gas-guzzlers, but everyone works on them. I've always had troubles w/ my old OMC but parts are everywhere. New Johnson/Evinrude product is a solid performer. By the way, OMC, Johnson, Evinrude... how do you say gesundheit in Canadian? "

Back