Logo

175 mercury not firing

R

Robert Morgan

" Spark plugs are getting a sp

" Spark plugs are getting a spark. I checked the gas line going to the top carburetor and it spits gas when the key is turned, but it doesn't even hint at wanting to start. I bought this boat from my dad, and it has been sitting up for about a year. One hint is even though it appears the carbs are getting gas, it never smells like it is flooded. Any thoughts would really be appreciated! "

"Robert,

Make sure that you

"Robert,

Make sure that you have strong spark first. You should be able to get the spark to jump a gap of 7/16 inch. Sometimes it looks like there is spark
in the plug gap, but it is not really very strong.

If the spark is good, you probably should remove the carbs and rebuild them properly. If the engine has been sitting for a year, there has to be some deposits in the carbs.

It probably makes sense to do a compression test first, just to make sure you have an engine that will run.

Tony"

" Thanks! I've taken the

" Thanks! I've taken the carbs off and got some of that gunk remover..you know..the kind of stuff you don't get on your skin or it eats it off!
anyway, I've got the gasket kit and I'm going to replace those while I have it torn apart. I should be done in a couple of days (3 carbs). I'll have to check the distance the spark jumped, I really didn't notice how strong the spark was, I thought as long as it sparked I was good to go. shows what I know! Anyway - Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep you posted. If the carb cleaning doesn't do the trick, what do you think I should check next? Thanks in advance! "

Back