Logo

Submerged 1995 Evinrude 30HP

lrc

I have a 1995 30 HP evinrude

I have a 1995 30 HP evinrude outboard motor that was recently submerged. What should I do to get this motor running again?

It is important to get it run

It is important to get it running as soon as possible to avoid corrosion damage to precision bearings.(WITHIN 3 TO 6 HRS as per manuals). It can be submerged for weeks with no corrosion damage the damage begins when it is exposed to air and oxygen.Remove sparkplugs and turn motor over to expel water. Drain carburetor and try to restart.If you can not get it running get help immediately.

" Lrc,

Total agreement

" Lrc,

Total agreement with sparky; as he said it's VERY important to pull the plugs out before you go turning it over - else you can bend rods. With fresh water, I think you can get way with flushing and running the hell out of it to dry it. With salt water, I think your only real chance of salvaging anything is to immeadiatly dissassemble/clean/rebuild the powerhead - if you don't, the salt will stay in and at some point will rust the hell out of everying inside.

Jon "

" If you waited this long and

" If you waited this long and have not got it running it is JUNK. Step 1 drain carb flush fuel line,careful it is gasoline.Step 2 lay plugs down and crank until ALL water is out of motor.Step 3.place engine back on transom/stand hook-up fuel and water,start motor.No start? repeat steps 2&3,Disconnect stop switch run at least 2{two} hours.If ANY sand/silt/grit is seen/felt tear-down p/head IMMEADIATLY clean/oil rebuild.Good Luck.Zeke Zeke's Marine Service 561-746-1508 Master Tech Johnson/Evinrude "

Back