Logo

MarineCar Cylinder Head

K

kevin wadham

" I have a Volvo AQ151c (1

" I have a Volvo AQ151c (146hp)petrol engine. The cylinder head has a hole in the back near the exhaust port, a common problem it seems as the head is Aluminium. The engine looks very much Car based with steel block/twin carbs & Overhead camshaft.

Does anyone know if a Car head can be used in place of the "Marine" head? Which one?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially as the Marine head is £1000.00.

Kev "

" Any chance the existing head

" Any chance the existing head can be repaired by welding/re machining.Not sure about that particular engine, but some car/marine heads are the same, except for minor variations in metal content. Some US marine blocks (Cast iron) have a little higher nickel content to inhibit corrosion and I know marine grade aluminum (structual) has a higher content of magnisium, once again for corrision purposes, but if you are looking at L1000 ( 1800.00 US Dollars) I would get creative. Good luck and post your results. Kim "

" Kim. Many thanks for your ad

" Kim. Many thanks for your advice. I have found a company today that have advised me of a "Volvo approved"? repair that involves some kind of insert. It costs about £300.00. They assure me it works well but I'm a little concerned that they promise it will be ok even without seeing the head. Postage content is about £60.00 it also takes 2-3 weeks to be done. The boat is in a yard at the moment at a cost of £40.00 per week storage.

A Car head should be about £400.00-£500.00 if theres one that fits so I will make further enquiries for the moment. I feel that the above costs plus the gasket set, £130.00 might be a false economy using a repair that I have not seen or heard of before.

Thats the progress so far.....I'll keep you informed. "

Back