Logo

Power by lawn mower motor

humblechoice

Contributing Member
" many years ago i read in a m

" many years ago i read in a mag about how to convert a lawnmower motor to power a small boat,problem is with age I cannot remember anything about it , was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this subject??? "

"humblechoice,

You must be

"humblechoice,

You must be a glutton for punishment..!!

Are you refering to converting a lawnmower motor into an inboard or an outboard?

I have seen vaious articles about conversion to an inboard. I think in early Popular Mechanics magazines. There also used to be numerous articles about converison of automobile engines to inboard power... the Ford model A for instance.

I am sure you are aware that there were a number of air cooled marine engines on the market, Wisconsin and Lauson to name two.

It seems like a shame to have to put up with all the heat and noise of an air cooled engine when that huge heat sink is only 18" away...

You might get some additional feedback on this at the OldMarineEngine.com discussion board. It is really for antique engines, but those guys are familiar with a lot of the weird installations. The board is the same format as this one.

Regards,
Andrew"

" Bill,

When I was a kid, I

" Bill,

When I was a kid, I heard a rumor about a company that manufactured a small lightweight two cycle, water cooled engine which actually clamped onto the back of a boat. I was never able to validate the rumor, but if I recall the name, I'll get back to you.

Rick "

" I remember renting a 20 foot

" I remember renting a 20 foot skiff on Vancouver Island in the 70's. It was powered by a Briggs &Stratten air cooled engine with a rope pull starter and a direct drive, a coupling right to the shaft, neutral and forward.. Noisy but it started and pushed well. Don't know about longevity but if it lasted a couple of seasons it seems a bargain relative to cuurent inbard costs. "

" Cant disagree with this idea

" Cant disagree with this idea more. Mostly for safety reasons. A Briggs and Stratton makes a great mower or tiller motor, but is not designed for inboard boad use. The carb would not stand the pounding and would be very easily flooded. And we all know what a bilge with gas fumes can do. Best do it right guys and put in an engine approved for the use. Dont mean to be Mr Safety, but until you have seen a boat go up as a result of a few ounces of gas in the wrong place, you can have no appreciation for what im yakkin about. Kim PS I switched to diesel and besides no gas fumes, I now get super fuel mileage nad great dependibility. "

" Hi Guys - In Australia, Vict

" Hi Guys - In Australia, Victa, the rotary lawnmower manufacturer adapted their 2-stroke rotary lawnmower motor to an outboard leg back in the 60's. The end result was not dissimilar to a British Seagull outboard (and just as ugly!)It worked pretty well, producing about 5HP. Somewhere buried in my shed, I think I still have a leg from one of these monsters! It is certainly not suitable as an inboard and as Kim rightly says, gas inboards are just asking for trouble! "

" You can buy the briggs and s

" You can buy the briggs and stratten 5hp at Farm and Fleet in Illinois or at Gander Mountain stores with boat ,look at it for ideas. "

" i have a 8 hp suzuki and wan

" i have a 8 hp suzuki and want to know where the impeller is on it any idea folks , greetings from wales "

" This message is from Osoyoos

" This message is from Osoyoos, BC Canada, we are looking for
a good economical inboard motor and matching leg to power a 22' Rienell. Good used, rebuilt, whatever..diesel..gas..what have you. "

" FK,
You should post a wante

" FK,
You should post a wanted ad in our classifieds, use the link on the left. "

Back