Logo

1997 150 HP Yamaha Start Up New Block

K

Ken Kapp

" Hi Tony and All Watermen,

" Hi Tony and All Watermen,

The big day is near as we plan to start up the rebuilt powerhead this weekend. The carbs were really gunked up when I put in the rebuild kits yesterday. The #2 (2 barrel starboard) carb had a plugged up jet and the gunk was so bad we spooned it out with a screwdriver before we put it in the cleaner. We think that was the cause of the engine failure. We noticed the engine running rough the day before it broke. We have blown out the oil lines and tested the check valves. The engine turns over, but seems tight. I sprayed some Yamalube into the intake manifold with a spray gun.(+- 1/2 tsp./cyl. This was before turning it over. We have the boat tank full of gas. It hold 50 gallons and we can't do a proper job of mixing in oil, but we want to use 50/1 premixed gas with the oil injectors for the first few hours. Can we buy a 6 gallon tank and run the engine off of it with the premix. If we run at a slow speed would that be OK. We can troll from the dock as long as it takes, but that isn't the way to break in the engine. The timing and syncro seem good. What else needs to be done? Thanks for your help.

Ken and the Sebastian River Gang "

" Ken,

Make sure everything

" Ken,

Make sure everything in those carbs is immaculate if you haven't already done that. I have seen people destroy new blocks because of overlooked fuel problems. Make sure the fuel pump is working properly if you haven't done that yet.

Generally you would run with oil in the fuel tank for about ten hours, and during this time you wan't to monitor the oil being used in the oil tank, to make sure the oil system is functioning properly before you stop using premix. You may find that the spark plugs foul because of the extra oil, requiring cleaning frequently.

You can run off of a six gallon tank if you want to.

Good luck!

Tony "

" Thanks Tony,

Both fuel pu

" Thanks Tony,

Both fuel pumps are pumping well. They are 5 years old though and maybe we can find rebuild kits for them. The engine idles great and we are looking forward to putting it up on plane after a few hours of slow running. If not for this board I wouldn't have attempted the power head change. Thanks again and best regards,
Ken "

Back