Logo

1972 50 hp Johnson HydroElectric Shift New Question

tnovo

Sorry I miss spoke about twic

Sorry I miss spoke about twice the RPM's I meant to say twice the power to shift it into reverse I was told. I did use the proper lubrication for the lower unit Type C for electric shift outboards. One thing I might have to do is have the lower idle ajusted and check both the spark on the plugs and the compression. The motor seemed to operate great when I last ran it. Thanks for the input regarding my motor. I am just a beginner and would like to under stand motors a little more and you have helped me.

I have one more question regarding my motor. I had trouble starting it one time last fall. Some guys that where there said it looked like the motor wasn't getting any fuel. WE took the hood off and the guy said the choke didn't seem to be working. It has a choke toggle switch on it. So he pulled the manual choke on the Starboard side of the motor out and it started after a few tries. Would this problem be a faulty choke toggle switch or a choke solenoid? After the motor was running I pushed the manual choke all the way back in and it ran great for me. Also how should I start the motor until I can fix or get it fixed?

"Tnovo.... Until you can fix t

"Tnovo.... Until you can fix the engine, start it by pulling the choke all the way out, crank it until it fires, then push the choke all the way in. If it starts and continues to run okay, great. If not, repeat the cycle.

Test the choke solenoid by applying 12 volts directly to the solenoid. If it pulls in the plunger, the solenoid is okay. And if so, then check the switch by jumping across the switch terminals. If the solenoid (after you've tested the solenoid) now pulls in by jumping the switch, the switch is faulty. If the solenoid does not pull in, then there is a broken wire leading from the switch to the solenoid somewhere.

Joe
"

Back