Logo

SUNK MY BOATwhat now

fred

" A sad day it is in aqualand.

" A sad day it is in aqualand. Heavy downpours and bilge pump problems caused my boat to sink at the dock. All the way. The 5.0 i/o engine was a little tired, but all the accessories were newer and the volvo penta outdrive was just serviced. It was unly underwater for 1/2 day So, I am wondering what is salvagable (starter, alternator, trim pump, batteries, etc) and is there anything that I should do quickly, like to the outdrive maybe, that can save parts until I decide to start rebuilding it?

Also, one other thing. This boat is a 21' bowrider ski boat. How difficult would it be to tear the whole top of the boat off and change it into a basic no frills center console setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Fred "

" Fred, after a sinking the

" Fred, after a sinking the general rule is get the water out and get fresh oil/lube in - quickly! Dry out all accessories, fuel & ignition pieces. Use WD-40 to help halt corrosion. Compressed air is a great help here. Time is critical, so hopefully you've already done a lot of this.

If you can, make every effort to restart & run the engine (from a clean fuel source & new battery) after everything has been dried, cleaned and re-lubed. You will probably need to change the oil more than once.

I'm not an outdrive guy, but again, getting the water out and new gear lube in is the most important thing.

If the engine is beyond immediate repair, I'd tear it completely apart, drying, cleaning and oiling as I go. This will get you the most salvagable parts for a rebuild.

I'm also not a naval architect, so I wouldn't want to venture a guess on changing the cockpit configuration. My main concern would be if the current deck acts as a structural member, strengthening the hull. Losing that bracing may invite Murphy aboard your boat. "

Replace all the electical swi

Replace all the electical switches as water will slowly destroy them and that can cause real danger at the wrong time.

" change all lubes!!
also dis

" change all lubes!!
also disasemble starter and alt if they sealed units
make sure to remove the spark plugs!!!!clear all water from the cylinders(roll it over with plugs removed).drain fuel.
other than that youll have to take it as it comes.
oh,you might want to buy a new bildge pump...just in case. "

Back