Logo

Graymarine Model 135

K

Ken Loofboro

I have just acquired a Gray M

I have just acquired a Gray Model 135 SN G18005 with a Paragon manual transmission. It is a 6 cylinder. On the cylinder head it is marked A600A and also 6 355. There is a logo with a capital L with a capital C superimposed over it. The engine is equipped with 2 carburetors and Delco electrics.
I would greatly appreciate any information that any of you can provide. Is there a source on the internet that will let me track down the year and other information?
Thank you for your help.
Ken

"Ken,

I think what you have

"Ken,

I think what you have is the Gray Six-135, also know as a Phantom Six-135

<UL>[*]Six Cylinder [*]3-7/16 x 4-3/8 [*]244 cu inch [*]115HP at 3400RPM [*]125HP at 3600RPM [*]135HP at 3800RPM</LI>[/list]

I don't know what year it is based on the serial number, but in the 1940's to late 1950's.

Regard,
Andrew
"

"Ken,

Your engine was built

"Ken,

Your engine was built in either 1954-55-56. The G was used in those years. B was 1940, C was used in 1941 through 45. D was used 1946 through 1949. I think you get the picture.

Hector"

Re: I have just acquired a Gray M

I have just acquired a Gray Model 135 SN G18005 with a Paragon manual transmission. It is a 6 cylinder. On the cylinder head it is marked A600A and also 6 355. There is a logo with a capital L with a capital C superimposed over it. The engine is equipped with 2 carburetors and Delco electrics.
I would greatly appreciate any information that any of you can provide. Is there a source on the internet that will let me track down the year and other information?
Thank you for your help.
Ken

I have the same engine. My head number is A600A. Engine number is G18039
I am in colorado. Where are u?
Contact by email: [email protected]
I have carb issues and want to discuss.
Thanks

Hi, i believe you have the continental 6-244 cu.in engine known as the graymarine phantom 135 horse.
It used two zenith carbs type 263m 63me2e12. Turning the idle screw in leans the mixture which is opposite of all the other zeniths. Also both throttle valves most open at the same time and both choke valves must close together or hard starting will occur.
Hope this helps

Reviving an old thread... I have the same engine in a 1955 Century Resorter 16.
Someone on facebook shared a Gray parts manual with my that lists the Phantom Six 135 and the "Model 135" separately so I believe they are very similar but different models. Not sure what the difference is yet.
A600A seems to be the Continental number and is difficult to source parts for. The cooling channels block to head are different than all the continentals I've found so I'm having a hard time sourcing a few things. The tappet design may also be substantially different (lower mass), perhaps because these marine engines spin faster than the industrial Continentals.
I'm just diving back into this project after a long break, if anyone has more information on these motors and sourcing parts, I'd be thrilled to here about it.

check over at oldmarineengine.com...they Gray knowledge base is really over there....around here, I'd say we do well with everything newer than the mid 60's....

Back