Logo

New Engine and Outdrive

greg

I would like input on the bes

I would like input on the best combination to install in a 75 Bayliner. The boat is 23' 8' beam approximately 4500 lb. It currently has what looks to me to be a 305 Chevy with a Volvo Penta outdrive.

" Does the engine/drive you ha

" Does the engine/drive you have now still run? If the VP sterndrive is still good, just drop in a 350 or 383 chevy smallblock and run with that.

A friend of mine ran a 390 Ford with a VP in a big heavy early 70's cruiser for several years with no drive problems other than water pump. "

" Greg, I would have your outd

" Greg, I would have your outdrive checked out, and if no prob's reuse it. I would then buy a complete 350 Chevy Vortec Marine engine and install it. I t would be just a remove and replace job basically. The new Vortecs put out some great power. "

" It depends on how mechanical

" It depends on how mechanically inclined you are. And how much the boat means to you. And how deep your pockets are. The age of the equipment you are describing dictates replacing your entire drive train. How much do you want to spend on an engine and then have problems with your drive? If the boat is a keeper, complete repowers are an investment that won't come back to haunt you. Not to mention, dependability and warranties.
I'd be happy to talk about repowering with Mercruiser packages. You can reach me Toll Free @ 877-941-7767. "

Back