Logo

GAS START INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER 6 CYL DIESEL

orbit_ii

"Couple months ago I started a

"Couple months ago I started a message string about a multifuel International diesel that was in a WWII tug boat I bought at auction. Well after a month cleaning it up and doing some painting I now know it is a gas start that you switch over to diesel with a lever after the engine is warmed up. The boat has definetly been repowered. The number on the engine is 253 702 R92
serial # 19652. It has 6 cylinders, in line with 2 heads. Here are some pictures of the months cleanup, in them are a couple pictures of the engine. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/orbit_ii/lst?.dir=/Tug+Luna-sea+fall+cleanup&.view=t
Any information, would be greatly appreciated. Manuals a Godsend. Thanks for your time, Steve W. French"

"Steve,
The boat looks great!

"Steve,
The boat looks great! Hopefully someone can provide some info for you. I will check again with these numbers.
Regards, Andrew

"

"Steve,

I sent your informa

"Steve,

I sent your information to a friend of mine (a WWII vet, landing craft engineer), and he says your engine was from an "International D8 Tractor".

He says that the military had thousands of them. You might be able to get a manual from one of the many "antique tractor" web sites such as yesterdaystractors... but a word of caution, I noticed that they take credit cards but they do not use a secure server.... if you are going to order from them I would suggest calling.

Regards,
Andrew"

" The gas-start was used in al

" The gas-start was used in almost all IH dozers through the 50's and 60's. It is an excellent engine. IH also used them in farm-tractors, and many were sold for stationary applications (irrigation pumps, gen-sets, etc.).

Your easiest source for manuals would likely be old dozer manuals, as these are the most common.

Note: I doubt that it was called an "International D8 tractor". D8 is a Caterpillar dozer model number, not a number that IH used to my knowledge.

IH used numbers like TD-18, TD24, etc.. If the gentleman meant a D8 -sized- International dozer, then that would probably be the TD24 or TD25. Great machines. "

"Steve the engine looks like a

"Steve the engine looks like a International TD24 crawler engine from what I could tell I could not get to the other pictures that you have posted. I have just become the new owner of one of those crawlers and from what I can tell there great motors. This tractor had been sitting for 10-15 years and I through two batteries in it and it fired right up. If you have any questions on starting or mechanical please email me at [email protected] and I will try to help you out. If you are looking still for a manual I would go to address that Andrew mentioned."

"I probably have the engine pa

"I probably have the engine parts books. I certainly know how to fix it and get parts. You can email me privately at [email protected]
I grew up working on International Harvestor tractors"

Back