Logo

HELP JOHNSON 225HP SHIFT INTERRUPTER SWITCH

james

Contributing Member
" I have a problem with a John

" I have a problem with a Johnson 225hp shift interrupter switch which suppose to momentarily kill one bank to lower rpm to facilitate forward or reverse gear shifting. The shift switch itself is good since rpm drops when its pin is manually depressed. However no rpm drop is observed nor does the switch pin even move at all when remote control is shifted to either forward or reverse gear. Is there a bushing or something that needs to be replaced? By the way, the problem seemed to occur after pulling down the gearcase to replace impeller. Thanks in advance. "

"James..... The shift interrup

"James..... The shift interrupter is designed to momentarily knock out the starboard bank so that you can get the lower unit OUT OF GEAR. It has no need to have an effect to get the unit into gear. This is due to the fact that there are some props (rakers mostly) that when in gear, even at an idle, if the shift interrupter switch did not exist, there would be so much pressure being applied to the clutch shifter dog that it would be next to impossible to get the unit out of gear.

The interrupted ignition takes place so fast, and so smooth, that one would never notice that it took place. It's not something that rears its ugly head every time one would move the throttle/shift lever. If your engine goes into and out of gear smoothly, the interrupter switch is doing its job.

Perhaps I am not seeing what you're speaking of? What is the engine doing now that it didn't do previously?

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Hi Joe. Thanks for your quic

" Hi Joe. Thanks for your quickly response. My problem is that without the shift interrupter working, the idle rpm (out of gear) has to be set lower in order for shifting to be smooth & easy. However having a low idle rpm at neutral results in a too low in-gear idle rpm that it stalls.

I agree that the interruption happens quite briefly to be noticed thru rpms. But the reason why I say its not functioning is that i disconnected the shift switch plug and connected an ohmmeter set at X1k range which is sensitive enough to detect the operation of the switch.

The operation of the shift switch is purely mechanical with the shift switch is attached to the shift lever but no movement is seen while shifting.

Yet if I simulate the shift switch operation by manually by quickly depressing and releasing its pin while another person shifts the obm into gear, the idle rpm can be set properly and no stalling is experienced.

What do you think? "

Back