Logo

1972 Johnson 50hp HydroElectric Shift

tnovo

" I have problems with the eng

" I have problems with the engine stalling when shifting into reverse and the engine is in low idle. I have been told that it takes twice the rpm for it to operate in reverse then it does forward. Also there was a part that get worn that causes the motor to stall if the idle is low. The motor works great but when I shift it into reverse, with the idle turned up it bangs into gear. What would be the resolve to this proplem, Replace the gear set, clutch dog or any other parts? "

"Tnovo.... It does not take tw

"Tnovo.... It does not take twice the rpm to shift into reverse. Set the idle rpm with the engine running on a flushette (garden hose) to 1000 rpm, not more than 1100 rpm. That will automatically drop to a normal idle rpm when the engine is in the water.

From what you've said, there is nothing that needs replacing in your lower unit as it is shifting into forward, neutral, and reverse.

There could be two causes for your problem that I can think of.

One is that possibly you have the wrong gear lube in that lower unit. You CAN NOT use what is called "HiVis" (80/90w) in that unit such as what is used in any mechanical type shift unit. You must use what is called (by OMC) "Premium Blend", also known as "Type C" lube which is a lower viscosity oil that is needed for the oil pump to function properly.

The second cause could be that the engine (powerhead) is not up to par. Check the compression which should be 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Also check the spark (with the s/plugs out). The spark should jump a 1/4" gap on that engine with a strong blue flame.

It does require more power to have the engine in reverse (even on a flushette) due to the gearing and the prop pitch grab, but as mentioned above, it does not require twice the rpms.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

The oil pump must supply extr

The oil pump must supply extra pressure to fully compress the spring on the clutch dog in reverse.An extra 50 to 100 rpm is all that is needed.

Sorry I miss spoke about twic

Sorry I miss spoke about twice the RPM's I meant to say twice the power to shift it into reverse I was told. I did use the proper lubrication for the lower unit Type C for electric shift outboards. One thing I might have to do is have the lower idle ajusted and check both the spark on the plugs and the compression. The motor seemed to operate great when I last ran it. Thanks for the input regarding my motor. I am just a beginner and would like to under stand motors a little more and you have helped me.

I have one more question regarding my motor. I had trouble starting it one time last fall. Some guys that where there said it looked like the motor wasn't getting any fuel. WE took the hood off and the guy said the choke didn't seem to be working. It has a choke toggle switch on it. So he pulled the manual choke on the Starboard side of the motor out and it started after a few tries. Would this problem be a faulty choke toggle switch or a choke solenoid? After the motor was running I pushed the manual choke all the way back in and it ran great for me.

Back