Logo

Mercury not firing

W

Wesley Clary

I have a 1984 Ranger with a 1

I have a 1984 Ranger with a 1981 Mercury 200. I had a rat get in the boat and chew up some wires. I have replaced all of the wires that I found chewed up but the engine is not firing now. Could there be a wire I missed causing this and how do you troubleshoot firing problems. Any help would be appreciated.

" Wesley,

The first thing t

" Wesley,

The first thing to check, if none of the cylinders are firing, is that the ignition is not being grounded out. There is a circuit that includes the man over board kill switch, "off" position on the key switch, and a mercury switch (is on when engine is inverted). All these switches route ground to the circuit when "on" - so if the engine is turned off, the man over board switch is pulled, or the engine is inverted, ground is present on this circuit. This circuit attaches to a post on each switch box (black box) and when ground is present there, you will not get ignition. Look on the powerhead, near the black boxes for a black little wigit, with a cylinder shaped portion, that has one or two wires coming out of it. One will come from ground (or this thing will be grounded), the other will go into another wire, or directly to the black boxes - that's this "kill" circuit I'm talking about. With the key switch on, there should not be ground on these switch box posts. Check that out and tell us how it goes.

Jon "

my 25hp mercury 9316367 (

my 25hp mercury 9316367 (1980) will not spark any ideas?there is no spark at the plugs which i have replaced

I HAVE A 1975 40 HP MERCURY T

I HAVE A 1975 40 HP MERCURY THUNDERBOLT IGNITION NOT FIRING AT PLUGS WAS RUNNING IN FALL. I HAVE CHECKED FOR GROUNDING PROBLEM.POSSIBLE TIMER UNDER FLYWHEEL OR ELECTRONIC BOX WONDERING HOW TO CHECK THEM OUT

Back