Logo

Yamaha 150 HP 1997 With Major Problem

K

Ken Kapp

" I have a 97 Yamaha with very

" I have a 97 Yamaha with very low hours that shut down while leaving the dock at 2000 RPMs. I took it in to our local dealer and he replaced the power pack. When trying to start it they found a connecting rod had broken and punctured the power head. I have been a customer of this dealership for many years and am happy with all other work I have had done there. Could the power pack have caused the broken rod? should I ask or insist that they take back the new power pack? Is it better to buy a new power head or should I try to find a rebuilt? The cost of the new power head plus installation seemed high and it wasn't a firm price at that. (frozen bolts etc.) The sure way out may be a new engine, but I am hoping to explore other options first. Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,
Ken "

" Ken,

I don't believe

" Ken,

I don't believe that the broken rod could be the result of a bad power pack. It is also hard to believe that the mechanic missed the broken rod. If it was broken when you brought it to the shop, it should have been obvious.

Of course it might be just a strange coincidence; the rod broke after they had replaced the power pack. It sounds far-fetched, but I have seen things like this happen.

If you want to repair the engine, you will probably have to go with a rebuilt powerhead. If the rest of the engine is in good condition, it is usually worth doing this job.

If you decide to buy a new engine, you could then sell the lower unit and the tilt/trim hydraulics for quite a few dollars. It is something to think about when deciding what the likely costs will be.

Tony "

" Thanks Tony,

How hard is

" Thanks Tony,

How hard is the replacement or exchange of the powerheads? I anticipate the help of some good amateur mechanics. I have dealt with siezed bolts and the like before and believe there will be a dozen or so to contend with. The local library has Clyner Manuals that should help.

Best regards,
Ken "

" Ken,

Replacing the powerh

" Ken,

Replacing the powerhead is not that difficult. The problem that you may run into is that the long screws which fasten the powerhead to the mid-section can be badly seized. Generally, when this happens you have to saw off any seized screws. There is a spacer or base plate (about 1 1/2 inches thick), at the base of the block. This is where you have to saw the screws. You will destroy the spacer, but as long as the mid-section is not damaged you will be okay. Then you have to drill out the remaining pieces of the screws. If you are not concerned about damaging the block itself, the job is even easier, and you might be able to save the base plate and use it on the new block.

Rebuilt or new powerheads can come with or without things like cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, and other peripherals. Make sure any parts that you will have to use from your old powerhead are in good condition before making final plans, or you could end up having to spend much more money to finish the job.

Tony "

Back