Logo

1998 225 Johnson Outboard

matt

I am looking at a 22' Ken

I am looking at a 22' Ken Craft Challenger that has a '98 225 Johnson. I have heard that there have been numerous issues with this year and model after about 500 hrs. I know there will be issues but I was told numerous problems could be expected. Is there any truth to this or is this a Mecury (Ford or Chevy) man telling something incorrect. Any info would be appreciated.
Matt

" I haven't heard anything

" I haven't heard anything bad about carbed Johnsons pre-1999. There are a lot of people out there that bash Johnsons and Evinrudes jsut because of some issues with low quality in the two model years leading up to OMC's demise, but you could just as easily pick on Mecury about their OptiMax motors. I say, if it looks good, you have good compression on all cylinders and within 10% of each other and good spark, and nothing obviously bad, go for it! Especially for a reasonable price. Keep in mind, though, that that engine will be thirsty. No comparison with hte new DI 2-strokes or 4 strokes on gas mileage. Good luck whatever you chose to do. "

" Matt,

As far as I know th

" Matt,

As far as I know the only real OMC "issues" were with the fuel injected - Ficht models. From what I understand, it was also limited to only a couple years (2000-2001 or 1999-2000) and a couple models (200's & 225's.. mabye 175's too). It came at a bad time for OMC as well, and in the process of the bankruptcy and sale of the company (to bombardier) some extended warranties were lost - it looked really bad for a period of time. I think now, everything has been ironed out, and hopefully bombardier will learn from their mistakes. I have heard that bombardier isn't so easy to deal with; that they are very pushy about dealers making commmitments to buy X amount of engines etc.. Even during that transitional period though, I had no problem having parts ordered for factory warranty and getting service.

You've gotta check the engine out, as with any outboard.. as said - check compression and be sure to drain a little gear lube out and see it's condition, milky has water in it - needs to be fixed, black is burnt - bad bearing - run low or being abused somehow, small hairlike splinters on the magnet of plug is OK, chunks are very bad news, like new is how it should look. I also wouldn't buy anything in that price range without a sea trial and would put some serious thought into having a surveyor and/or mechanic take a look.

Jon "

Back