Logo

Is there DIESEL outboard

P

Paul Van Voorhees

"Are there any diesel outboard

"Are there any diesel outboards? If so, how do I get one? I would be interested in a 15 hp long shaft unit for my sail boat. Thanks...

Please reply by email: [email protected]"

About 12 years ago Coventry C

About 12 years ago Coventry Climax exhibited a 25hp diesel outboard at the Southamton Boat Show in the UK. They are famous for their Fork Lift Trucks but I do not know if they still do this engine.
I hope this helps
James

" once again I don't remem

" once again I don't remember the name but there is an italian outboard company that still makes diesel outboards , "

" Tohatsu made one in the mid-

" Tohatsu made one in the mid-eighties, don't know if they still do. "

Yanmar currently make Diesel

Yanmar currently make Diesel outboards up to about 36HP.There was a multihull powered solely by 2 these motors which went from I think Calif to Hawaii then across the Pacific to Japan.The journey was covered in a no. of boating mags.

" Yanmar make a 27 & 36 hp

" Yanmar make a 27 & 36 hp 2 and 3 cyl out board.
Example = The 27 hp. electric start @ 3600rpm has the bollard pull of a 45hp gas engine. Weight is aprox 200 pounds. These engine were originaly for the 3rd world fishing fleets and found there way to North America. They did well, but Al Gore and the EPA prohibited then from the United States. You can buy in Canada, but good luck passing thru customs. Ron "

" China Engine offers a crude

" China Engine offers a crude 3 to 4 HP diesel outboard that weighs HUNDREDS of pounds that they claim bill move a barge of several thousand pounds! I think that they sell for under $2000 US. They have a web site.

Good Luck,

Jack "

I too have of late been lookin

I too have of late been looking for a diesel outboard engine but the Italian company that I remember made several well reputed such engines about 20 years ago does not seem to exist anymore. The name as I recall was Ruggiero.

"Good day, we are actually loo

"Good day, we are actually looking for outboard diesel engines (36 - 40 hp long shaft 4 strokes). Apparently Yanmar are not producing them anymore. Can somebody help where we could source same ? Thks
Tom"

"we have 2pcs of Yanmar diesel

"we have 2pcs of Yanmar diesel outboards for sale
model D36 - 36hp / long shafts
1 x engine only run 10 lifetime hours in "as new" cond - the other engine has 45 hours run after major overhaul.

both located Aberdeen / Scotland

price for low hour unit - £9,500.00 ukp sterling
other unit -£8,000.00 ukp sterling"

"I have worked on a US registe

"I have worked on a US registered ship a few months ago that that had a Yanmar outboard on their tender. It was extremely reliable and efficient and ran forever on very little fuel. After seeing one in operation I am surprised to hear that the EPA stopped the sale of them in the US. They can't be worse than 2 stroke out boats for emissions. Diesels are inherently more efficient and produce less emissions than their gasoline cousins. It was very large and heavy compared to a gasoline outboard and had to be bolted to the tender. This deterred outboard motor theft though, which is a big problem when cruising."

looking for ruggerini or any other small diesel outboard, if no outboard is available a lightweight 12-15 HP inboard can be considered

PAT,
I send a e-mail for my 27hp diesel outboard engine with details.At same time,my 160hp
diesel outboard engine is testing ,and it is good now.i hope you like it.

I work for MarineDiesel Sweden AB. We currently have an initial prototype of a 220 hp outboard that is undergoing classification and final life cycle tests. The initial production units begin this summer, with the engines being available for sale early 2015 through our dealers.

The engine is based on a GM block and will be produced in Germany. This engine is being produced with the military and offshore markets in mind, and we have already sold out of our initial production run, before they are even built and classed.

Watch our blog in the future for details when they become available and installed: www.marinedieselblog.com (No information on there yet until final class received)

Back