Logo

Scale in Old Ford Interceptor Block

M

macone

" 1965 Interceptor,straight 6,

" 1965 Interceptor,straight 6,120 hp.There is not alot of water moving through the block,and when replacing one of 3 very large(2") frost plugs,i could feel,then pulled out with a magnet,some metal scale.Any ideas on how i can flush(?) this crud out?The water pump is good(new impeller) and there is water,and alot of steam,coming through.It runs well,but very hot...sounded like there is some boiling going on in there when I shut it down.The boat has sat up for about 5 years or so,and there is lots of oil pressure,and it is clean....the scale seems to be just affecting cooling.ANY ideas would be great.thanx "

"This is a nasty job. First,

"This is a nasty job. First, cover the entire top of the engine and any other place you don't want water to enter the engine. Pop all the side freeze plugs out. Start digging and flushing the water jackets. Most of the crud will be in the lower water jackets and may be pretty stubborn.

It's a lot easier if you can make a "wand" from some copper tubing connected to a garden hose. This can get into crevices and between cylinders. Just keep working till the jackets are fairly clean and the flush water runs clear. Expect several pounds of gook and rust to come out. A mechanic's stalk mirror and a flashlight will help you see into the jackets.

Button it up and run it. If it still gets hot, the passages through the heads and manifolds may be blocked, requiring some teardown. On an engine this old, anything goes. Have fun!

"

" FUN??? yer a sick little pup

" FUN??? yer a sick little puppy aren't ya!
I tried some Rad flush with little results.
Me thinks yer method is gonna be the one.
However...I seem to be unable to find a thermostat.
The only thing that gives me any indication of one is a small plug...maybe 1/2 inch...with a hex socket...in the block,at the top,close to the water inlet.
Ideas? "

"macone,

If you want the [I

"macone,

If you want the full story on water jacket corrosion and methods of repair... see the articles sent to our other site, OldMarineEngine.com.

Regards,
Andrew"

" 1965 chris craft cosair sun-

" 1965 chris craft cosair sun-lounger, 289 ford interceptor problems. I just purchased this boat which has been in storage since 1971. 39 original hrs on engine, someone removed the sparkplug wires from the craft, i cannot find out the correct firing order for this engine, supposed to be a righthand rotation??????????? f/o-1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5????????? i have called TONS of repair shops all over the us. some say it is not a reverse f/o. and yet others say it is!!! How can i tell for sure? I was going too put the eaton out drive in forward position and crank the engine over to see clock rotation. any better ideas??? I also need to find a bellow/boot for the eaton outdrive,only have the serial number on the outdrive unit.no one can cross over the numbers to tell me if it is an A or B unit.

Thanx for any and all help, "

"J.,

Do you have the serial

"J.,

Do you have the serial number...? The serial number will indicate the rotation. Post it here and I can tell you.

Ford Interceptor 289 cid Firing order:
<UL>[*]Left: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 [*]Right: 1-8-7-3-6-2-4-5</LI>[/list]

Regards,
Andrew"

Back