Logo

Red Oil Light Comes on My 2000 Mercury 4 hp 4 Stroke

A

Albert Ariotti

I have a 4 stroke 4hp 2000 mo

I have a 4 stroke 4hp 2000 motor from mercury. When I pull the cord a red light comes on for 1 second than disappears. I noticed this and filled the oil up to the top and ran the motor. The motor ran fine and then it started to smoke(blue smoke) could it be that I put too much oil in the motor and it increased the oil pressure?

Also is oil pressure light supposed to come on red as soon as you pull the cord.

Your help is much appreciated.

" No idea on that oil light, b

" No idea on that oil light, but I'd assume, as with any other 4-stroke I've ever seen, that there is a dipstick and an oil level that is below the top of the fill hole. This is almost definitly in the owners manual, before you do anything else with that engine, get the oil level figured out for sure.. if you did run it for long with too much oil, give it a decarb. No offense, I may not even know what I'm talking about, but I'm chuckling 'cause my girlfriend (blonde) once did the same thing with her car. I think she packed a good 6 quarts into that 4 cylinder. To her, it was like filling up on gas.. mechanic got a real kick out of it.

Jon "

" Albert,

The light comes o

" Albert,

The light comes on so that you know it is working. If it stays on you have a problem.

I think Jon is right; you probably added too much oil. It does'nt increase the oil pressure, but too much oil is definitely not good at all. You will have to drain some oil so that the level is right.

Tony "

Back