Logo

454 Wonbt start ignition system seems ok

B

Bruce Weins

" I have a remanufactured 454

" I have a remanufactured 454 with a thunderbolt IV ignition system installed in my boat and it will not start. Went through the ignition system tests and determined that the ignition coil and ingnition sensor were bad. Have sucessfully relplaced both. Still wouldn't start. Pulled the starter motor and had it tested, it is fine.

There is plenty of battery power (the port engine starts with no problem), all connections to the batteries, distributor, and starter motor are clean and tight. Voltmeter indicates proper power to all locations. Also tested the lead from the coil to the distrbutor, works fine and there is no visible wear.

Turn the key and the starter motor will not engage.

Any ideas? "

" Please clarify, you state th

" Please clarify, you state that the starter motor will not engage. Is the starter motor turning and not engaging or just plain not turning. If it turns and does not engage it is the starter drive. If it is not turning then you have an electrical problem, possibly in the starter contron ckt. You also mention some ignition parts. This sounds like you have turned engine over but it wont fire. Specify exactly where you are in this process and we can help. Sounds dumb, but have you changed plugs lately, or is it as simple as a deadman switch missing??? Good luck and keep in touch, Kim "

" Bruce, have you checked the

" Bruce, have you checked the starter solenoid ? Simple check of this is to remove it and use a continuity light on the battery to starter posts (larger posts) and make a set of wires up to connect on the smaller posts. The small posts are positve and negative, touch these to a battery and see if the solenoid closes,(light should come on). Also check your wiring harness from the ignition switch, don't know if you have a connector on this around your block, if so check that it's clean and tight. "

" Kim - The starter will not t

" Kim - The starter will not turn. Hence my thought is its electrical as well. However, I get power to the starter and distributor at 12+ volts as I should with the key in the run position. The ignition coil also provides a spark however, the engine starter motor will not run and as a result the enging will not turn over - nothing occurs when the key is turned to start. Not sure how changing the plugs would help since I can't even get the engine to turn over. What is a deadman switch? "

" Dennis - removed the starter

" Dennis - removed the starter from the boat and took it to a professional to have it tested. On the bench, it engaged and turned fine. However in the boat it will not engage or turn. Have pulled the wiring harness and cleaned and tightened. I have ruled this out since with the key in the run position I get power to the starter and distributor. "

" Bruce, I asked about the plu

" Bruce, I asked about the plugs before I clearly understood the problem. I thought at first it was turning over but would not start. I agree with Dennis in that it is either the solenoid or wiring harness. A deadman switch is one of those deals you tie to your wrist and it connects to the ignition. If you are tossed overboard, it shuts down the boat. Sometimes they get stuck in the place where they belong, but dont complete the ckt, also called a kill switch. One last thought, if you are getting power to the starter with the switch on, is the starter properly grounded. They usually ground when bolted to engine, but I have seen the rare ground strap here and there. Wish I had this darn thing in my dooryard, I could have it running in two minutes. Tough sometimes trying to solve a problem over cybespace. Good luck and keep us posted, Kim "

" sounds to me you have a key

" sounds to me you have a key switch problem ,is there power to the solenoid in the start position? "

" First is it a mercruiser set

" First is it a mercruiser set-up ?? if it is , it sounds like it could be a bad slave solenoid a bad neutral safty switch or incorrect connection on the starter, first make sure of the connection on the starter( yellow W/red stripe to the small (s) terminal on the solenoid.) next check for a slave solenoid (usually mounted on back side of the stbd. exh. manifold or at the fuel filter mount under a plastic cover at front of stbd. exh. manifold ) this slave activates the solenoid on the starter.
hope this helps "

Will the wrong rotation start

Will the wrong rotation starter cause the engine to fill with water when start is attempted?

Back