Logo

Winterizing

coolhand

I read in an article that you

I read in an article that you only need to lower an outboard to the run position to drain the water out of the engine. Is that enough to keep it from freezing or should I get some type of anti-freeze solution in the as well?

"CoolHand... Having the engine

"CoolHand... Having the engine in a upright running position will drain the water out. Hopefully you will be storing it before a hard freeze arrives anyway... This will allow any small amounts of remaining water to evaporate.

The main danger area are the small drain holes that one would find in the lower unit area. Should they be clogged with salt deposits, debris of any kind, water trapped in those area could cause the lower unit to crack.

It's always a good idea, when one is changing a water pump, to examine those lower unit drains and make absolutely sure that they are indeed clear.

The anti freeze solution you mention might be a good idea when there is some doubt about the drains, and since that solution works (obviously) well in the automotive field, it shouldn't have any adverse effect of any seals, O rings, etc. I say shouldn't have as I've never tried that or heard from anyone that's tried it. Perhaps someone will jump in here who has experienced using anti freeze in conjunction with outboards and give their views.

Joe
"

Back