Logo

Amp or volt meter hookup

J

John Samson

I have a dash mounted volt me

I have a dash mounted volt meter. How do I hook it up to work on a 1985 Johnson 40 "electric start"?

"John.... Simply connect the g

"John.... Simply connect the ground side of the meter to any good ground circuit. Connect the positive side of the meter to a wire that only registers the battery voltage when the ignition key is turned to the on position.

Joe
"

" As always Joe is correct. Bu

" As always Joe is correct. But the message header says "Amp or Volt meter hookup". Do NOT try to hook up an Ammeter (Amp meter) that way or you'll end up with fireworks you didn't want to see! That would be a dead short for an ammeter. This is absolutely correct for a voltmeter, which is an easier to hook up and perhaps even more useful meter anyway. Each tell a different story, and both types can be useful. The ammeter cannot tell you if your battery still has power, only whether it is being charged or discharging. If your voltmeter keeps dropping you can see if you have a discharge condition as well as a decent guess as to how much battery you have left. "

" Stu------THANKS for the info

" Stu------THANKS for the information. I am a mechanic and I have had several people tell me to do as Joe did. I knew this wasn't right but didn't know why. NOW I KNOW thanks to You !! Now that that is clear, if I buy an amp meter, I believe it will have to be hooked up between the charging system and the battery. Am I correct and how can I do that for my particular application? I have a Boston Whaler with OMC control with a 1985 Johnson 40. My battery is charging but I would like to have an ampmeter to go with my other "new' gauges. I have totally restored this boat.---THANKS AGAIN--- "

" THANKS GUYS. After my 7:20 a

" THANKS GUYS. After my 7:20 am post, I found a solution---Volt meter--. I have been a mechanic for about 40 years and have worked on all types of engines. Just goes to prove YOU CAN LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY !!!! ---THANKS AGAIN--- "

" Yep, A voltmeter, wired just

" Yep, A voltmeter, wired just as Joe said, was the answer I chose too. Much easier to install since the battery and engine are clear in the back. "

Back