Logo

What type of antifreeze is better

B

bob noll

does anyone know if there is

does anyone know if there is a real difference in whether you use regular automotive anti-freeze or marine anti-freeze when winterizing a marine engine. A dealer told me that it was better to use the marine anti-freeze because it protects the valves and rings better in the marine engine.appreciate any input on this .thanks
bob n

I find it a little suspicious

I find it a little suspicious that it protects your valves and rings. As far as I know is that If you have antifreeze around your rings or valves your in big trouble. All you are protecting is your water jackets and water pump from any left over water also the antifreeze protects the motor from rusting due to the air not going in contact with the bare metal inside. It makes no difference what kind of antifreeze as long as it is for combustible engines.

Thanks Aime

"Aime nailed it. I find it a

"Aime nailed it. I find it a LOT suspicious when a dealer says something like this just to sell some overpriced "marine" antifreeze. My advice would be to run, not walk, out of that dealer and never go back!

"

STOP!!!! Is this a gas or die

STOP!!!! Is this a gas or diesel engine. Antifreeze for diesels is different as the manafactures recommend low silica type for diesels. Why?? So the can charge 2 bucks more a gallon? Kim

the pink stuff is biodegradab

the pink stuff is biodegradable.use it unless your trying to rid the neighborhood of cats.
the green glycol spillover will do the trick for that.

Back