Logo

79 evinrude raticle rectifier i think

S

Steve Yager

" I have a 79 evinrude, it set

" I have a 79 evinrude, it sets for a week and wont fire, then changed plugs and it started right up, next week same thing, i found a wire corroded on the rectifier, so i removed rectifier from motor , still hooked up and key switch in "off" position i had spark when touching bad wire to block, when engine was being turned over and i touched rectifier too block it started right up. is the rectifier the only problem here? and should this wire be energized even when key is in off position,, i would appreciate any help oh this is a 79 85 h.p. v-4 other than that prob after it starts.. then you can start it up as much as you want it runs great after the intial sequence i told you about.. thanks "

"Steve.... The rectifier is an

"Steve.... The rectifier is an electronic component that converts AC voltage from one portion of the stator to DC voltage so that the DC voltage will be able to charge the battery. It has nothing to do with the ignition/spark operation of the engine.

However, the stator also has another circuit within it that generates 300 volts ac which is fed to the powerpack. If the rectifier is faulty or disconnected, the AC "Charging Voltage" cannot obtain access to the battery, causing power to back up at the stator which causes the stator to overheat, crack, and start to melt down.

When this melt down takes place, two large coils (at the front & back of the stator) melt and drip a sticky substance down on the block. These are the two coils that normally emit the 300v AC to the powerpack. The result is that the AC voltage to the pack drops and the ignition becomes faulty, weak, and/or non existent.

Check that stator assy and make sure that the charging system is operating properly.

Joe
"

" thanks joe for the info on

" thanks joe for the info on the rectifier i think
i caught this prob in time i dont see any damage
and im putting the new one on today, ill let you know what happens thanks alot. "

" Joe, i have the rectifier on

" Joe, i have the rectifier on and aparently the wire that was corroded off and grounding somewhat to the block was my prob... she started on the first lick... and running great so thanks alot going to the islands tomorrow so if i have a prob i'll call ya ta come get me.... you do have a towing service eh?... lol... thanks again "

Back