Logo

CARB REBUILD

harry

" WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY PITF

" WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY PITFALLS I SHOULD LOOK FOR IN REBUILDING THE CARBURATORS ON A 115 HP EVINRUDE?I'VE REBUILT CARBS ON SEVERAL CARS YEARS AGO BUT HAVEN'T DONE ANY LATELY, KIND OF OUT OF TOUCH.THINK THAT AUTOMOTIVE CARB CLEANER SHOULD WORK AS GOOD AS ANYTHING.THE ENGINE HASN'T BEEN RUN MUCH FOR FEW YEARS AND I THINK THERE IS A BUILD UP OF VARNISH INSIDE,DOSEN'T IDLE VERY WELL AND STALLS WHEN TRYING TO SHIFT IN TO FOWARD. "

" Before cleaning carburetors

" Before cleaning carburetors do a compression test, omc motors are prone to broken piston rings. Verify good pistons and rings before doing carburetors.How many times do we read posts saying " cleaned carburetors but motor still does not run any better" "

" Harry,

Definitly in

" Harry,

Definitly in agreement w/ sparky - compression check first. Also, you are probably right about the varnish. Stalling when shifting into forward though can just be a low idle speed; the idle should be set at at a certain RPM when idling in gear, in the water. I want to say it's probably about 700 on that engine. So, if it's idling at 700 in neutral, it will surely stall when put into gear. Auto carb cleaner is fine, I like the spray can stuff to blast out the small passages - just be sure to keep it away from anything non metallic as it will melt it and don't get that #hit in your eye ;).

Jon "

I'LL CHECK THE COMPRESSIO

I'LL CHECK THE COMPRESSION FIRST (POWERHEAD WAS REBUILT)THIS IS A PROJECT BOAT THAT I STARTED TO PUT BACK IN SHAPE.THANKS FOR THE HELP. HARRY

Back