Logo

55 15hp evinrude otbd

D

Dan Lantzy

Does anyone out there think I

Does anyone out there think I should throw in the towel? I inherited this motor with a boat and it hasn't been fired up in 14 years. It still has good compression. It was rebuilt 16 years ago. I realize it's going to need some hard work but I'm not sure if its worth the effort? Is it worth trying to get it running or should I start looking for a replacement motor?

" I think the question is how

" I think the question is how handy are you and do you think you can bring this motor up to snuf?
Is this a challenge , or a project?
I personally would get the motor working, but that's me. "

"Dan.... It's worth checki

"Dan.... It's worth checking the engine out as replacing the engine would cost a lot more than repairing what you have (usually).

OMC did not manufacturer a 15hp in 1955, but did in 1956. Many of those old motors are well worth fixing, and some take very little. You say you have compression, so check the spark (with the s/plugs out). You may have to remove the flywheel if the spark is faulty to check the coils, points, etc (no big deal).

Check the lower unit to make sure there's no water in the gearcase, then either change or top off the lube Remember not to remove that philips screw in the lower unit as that is not a drain screw, it's a long shoulder type screw that is a pivot point for the shift linkage.

The one problem that you're certain to encounter would be a clogged, fouled carburetor. Remove, clean, and rebuild it. Good Luck.....

Joe
"

" OMC certainly did build a 15

" OMC certainly did build a 15 in 1955, but it was only sold through Evinrude. Johnson made the 10, Evinrude the 15. They homogenized them in 1956 when both offered the 10 and 15.

I would guess that if the motor was rebuilt in the last 20 years, the coils are the new (much more reliable) style and are likely okay. I'd still check them and probably replace the condensers as a matter of course. Clean and gap points at .020"

Good, solid motors that perform quite well. They're decent on gas if you set them on a good cruising speed and don't run the tar out of them. Run it at a 32:1 ratio, it has some bronze bearings that need a bit of extra oil to keep them happy.

- Scott "

"Dan.... I've no idea why

"Dan.... I've no idea why but I was thinking "Johnson" when I stated that OMC did not make a 15hp in 1955. Evinrude did make the 15hp in 1953/54/55/56.

Joe
"

Back