Logo

Getting snapon tools

joe

Regular Contributor
" im in a vo-tec school so i g

" im in a vo-tec school so i get discounts on snap on tools...so far i have a 6 drawer tool chest, but im not sure on the tools...this would be for car/truck/boat use...thanks "

" Joe,

I'm not sure wha

" Joe,

I'm not sure what you are asking... please post below with some clarification.

Regards,
Andrew "

" lol, yea i just read it and

" lol, yea i just read it and even im like wtf...ok im in a vocational school, going for marine trades, and the shcool has a deal with snap on to get discounts on there tools...so far i have picked out a 6-drawer chest, but i talked to my dad, and hes impossible for any help, so im not exactly sure on what tools i should fill it with.. these tools that someone*hopefully* would help me get would be used to work on cars/trucks/ and boats..thanks "

" Joe,

Okay... thanks for t

" Joe,

Okay... thanks for the additional detail.

That is a tough question. You are really looking for a set of tools for all purpose mechanical work. The problem for anyone buying tools is the budget. Most mechanics don't buy all their tools at once, but instead start with the basics and build up. I hate to say "ask the salesman"... but if he is honest and experienced he can probably help you select what will fit your budget and give you good service. It's probably the sort of thing he runs into every day.

Also I thing most people would agree that it's better to buy top quality tools, even if you cannot get as many...

Good luck.
Regards,
Andrew "

" Andrew, I agree in principle

" Andrew, I agree in principle, but when you're working dockside...drop forged in the USA or cast in Taiwan - they both make the same splash! "

" lol, good point umbsailing..

" lol, good point umbsailing..see, im only 16,,and i have a very limited budget, so i was just wondeing what would be the best, "starter kit" if you will, to start out in this buisness..then my friend and i are always doing something on cars, so i want a good set of tools...thanks for the help "

" Hate to give any body a plug

" Hate to give any body a plug, but I have been buying a second and third set of tools from Harbor Freight. (The second and third are for boats) the real good stuff stays in the shop. They have excellent prices a good choice and for what you pay they are a good value. That means they are of good quality and very reasonably priced. So you can do a lot of work without them wearing out and if you leave one on a boat or kick it overboard, (or my favorite trick is to drop it in the bilge and retrieve it after you realize its been missing for three weeks) you wont go broke. Check them out on the internet or ask for a free catalogue. I also admire you going to school to be a marine mechanic. It is a trade that is always in demand and if you have any skill and some honesty, you will do well. The Northeast is screaming for good marine mechanics so if you ever need a job, head this way, Good luck, Kim "

" took a look at harbor freigh

" took a look at harbor freight tools...looks good, prices are good..but im still not sure on what to get..i need pretty much a starter set for now..the only reason i want snap on is they replace broken merchandise for free, and we also get*hold onto your hats* 60% off what they sell.. "

" o yea, i forgot to mention,

" o yea, i forgot to mention, i am in New Jersey, so if anyone is close to toms river, and needs help, let me know please "

" Well, if you can buy Snap On

" Well, if you can buy Snap On at 60% discount, then thats the way to go. Your salesperson should be able to set you up with a good starter set and build on that as need and funds arise. Having been around cars some as you have, then you have an idea of what to buy first. A set of sockets, both metric and SAE, in 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch drive is a must. Make sure you get a set that has deep sockets as well. A set of combo open end and box end wrenches in both metric and SAE, a good assortment of screwdrivers, a good mess of pliers (needle nose, sidecutting, diagonal cutting,etc, as well as Channellock type), a snapring plier kit that does both internal and external rings, a set of punches, chisels and a few hammers should get you on the road. You will never have enuf tools or of the right size but keep adding, and rule one of a good tool box is NEVER, let anyone borrow tools. You make your living with them and to let them out on loan is not only a crap shoot, but if they get lost, you are out a paycheck as well. Always wipe down (But not too clean, as a slight coat of oil will help keep rust away) tools after each use, and get in the habit of putting each tool in its place. Then before you leave or the boat leaves the shop, you can tell if you have all of your gear. Good luck, Kim "

" thanks for the input, but si

" thanks for the input, but since were students i believe that they sell the tools in a set, so were forced to get one set now, then another one in the spring *if we would like to*

for example i can buy a set now which could be metric...the entire thing would be metric
then in the spring i could do it again and buy a standard set..i hope thats not too confusing "

" SNAPON TOOLS ARE NICE TO LOO

" SNAPON TOOLS ARE NICE TO LOOK AT BUT IN MY BOOK S.K WILL DO THE SAME JOB ALOT CHEAPER AND ARE EASIER TO HOLD ON TO WHEN YOU GET THE GREASE,OIL ETC. WHILE WORKING ON ENGINES ETC.WAS AIRCRAFT MECHANIC FOR 37 YEARS AND SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE.SNAPONS JUST TOO SLICK TO HOLD TO WHEN THEY GET GREASY. HARRY "

" Harry, I agree with you, but

" Harry, I agree with you, but where on earth can I get replacement for my SK? Have a few that have were broken/lost and need a good source. Thanks, Kim. PS bought my first set of SK in 1969 (factory seconds none the less)and still use them daily. "

" i was a diesel mechanic for

" i was a diesel mechanic for over twenty years and always bought tools from mactool, snap-on. mattco ect. just like someone else said they all make the same splash. buy tyhe basics first because you can never buy enough. when i retired last year i had two roll arounds completely loaded with one bottom cabinet nothing but various air tools all made by mac or snap-on and if i was still working i would still be buying. "

" Silverton, Viking, Ocean, Ca

" Silverton, Viking, Ocean, Cavalier, Egg Harbor and Post are all in your back yard. There is no better way to learn your way around boats than to spend some time working in the factory. I can tell you first hand these companies are always looking for mechanical help. A couple of weeks on the job and you'll start to learn what tools you need. Then you'll spend the rest of your life buying them. Good luck. "

Back