Logo

95 Force (by mercury) stiff kingpin

2ifbyc

Anyone know the best way to free up tight movement from side to side of motor even without steering cable connected. I am assuming it is from th kingpin area and probably a build up of grease. I tried heat and PB blaster but it only helped a little bit. Do I need to install an additional grease fitting? So far have done heat and moving it back and forth. Would changing to hydraulic steering help this problem or will it still be stiff? Any help is appreciated!

Hyd. steering will make it easier but can also set it up for future failure.
The motor/kingpin could have 2 plastic bushings,one on top,one on bottom.
Excessive heat can melt these and cause more trouble than benefit.
Heat or disasemble is the only options: heat the mid section but too much at the bushings causes trouble.
The zerk can be pushed out if not careful, they are pushed (Force) in not screwed in.
The pressure from forcing grease when the mid section is full can push them out.

What I do: propane torch and use it everywhere but at the bushings,get it real,real hot and then try to add marine grease.
Add it until it comes out the ends.
You might need to add a couple of new zerks. the bushing is about 3/4" thick/wide so drill below and above that.

Taking it apart is not an easy job, salt water use compounds the difficulty, heat/PB Blaster or any good penetrating oil will help.

<p>
What happens.------Water / salt water gets into the space between the bushing and the casting.------Oxygen then joins with the aluminum and forms that white powder.----Aluminum oxide.-----So there is now MORE material there.----It can really jams things up solid !!----Solution might be to remove bushings and scrape out the white powder.</p>

Last edited:
Hyd. steering will make it easier but can also set it up for future failure.
The motor/kingpin could have 2 plastic bushings,one on top,one on bottom.
Excessive heat can melt these and cause more trouble than benefit.
Heat or disasemble is the only options: heat the mid section but too much at the bushings causes trouble.
The zerk can be pushed out if not careful, they are pushed (Force) in not screwed in.
The pressure from forcing grease when the mid section is full can push them out.

What I do: propane torch and use it everywhere but at the bushings,get it real,real hot and then try to add marine grease.
Add it until it comes out the ends.
You might need to add a couple of new zerks. the bushing is about 3/4" thick/wide so drill below and above that.

Taking it apart is not an easy job, salt water use compounds the difficulty, heat/PB Blaster or any good penetrating oil will help.

How do I know if I have the plastic bushings? How do I know if they are melted or corroded? When I add grease it comes out of only one side.(I can't recall if it's the top or bottom). I was going to upgrade to Seastar hydraulic steering but someone told me about a cheaper knockoff brand that was getting good reviews. It's called Vevor. I just ordered it but I didn't want to install it if it wasn't going to help the issue. Maybe some combination of the heat and penetrating oil and the new steering is ideal?

<p>
What happens.------Water / salt water gets into the space between the bushing and the casting.------Oxygen then joins with the aluminum and forms that white powder.----Aluminum oxide.-----So there is now MORE material there.----It can really jams things up solid !!----Solution might be to remove bushings and scrape out the white powder.</p>

How do I remove the bushings? Im handy just don't know this job.

On this site ----engine diagrams-----Find the motor.----Find the " transom bracket "--Parts picture.----Look at your motor and plan the work.----New bushings are available.

On this site ----engine diagrams-----Find the motor.----Find the " transom bracket "--Parts picture.----Look at your motor and plan the work.----New bushings are available.

I found the diagram but I don't see any info on how to access the bushings and/or kingpin. Is this a complete disassembly of the motor or can I access them some other way?

Back