Logo

Converting Control for Honda BF50

JaxMacX

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm converting a standard Honda side mount remote control unit to a Uflex side mount. The new Uflex is just a gear and throttle control system. I'm planning to disassemble the Honda remote control and reinstall it into seperate parts. For instance, reinstalling the ignition, emergency stop switch, buzzer, and other parts so that I have a functional system but just using the Uflex for forward and reverse. There are two switches that I need to know what my options are.

The first is the choke solenoid switch. I have easy access to the motor and can pull out the manual choke, so not sure if I need this or not. If I were to use it and were able to install it with a button function, then would it the solenoid need to be pressed our out to engage correctly?

The second is the throttle switch. Not sure what this does exactly. The Uflex system came with a neutral detection switch that won't allow the engine to start without it being in neutral. Is this what the Throttle switch does? If so, then could I simply connect the Uflex switch to the same lines and use it instead?

Thanks in advance!

The 2 wires to the choke switch can be extended pretty easily to a remote momentary push switch (like a horn button for instance) that can be mounted anywhere convenient. I often do that for customers that find that stock setup awkward (my own are all set up this way). I would consider the forward/electric choke (operated somehow), an essential function.

The other switch is a neutral safety switch going from memory. Really not that important, as there's another (a 2nd neutral safety switch) inside the motor. -Al

Back