Logo

older FI engine work with modern electronics in any way with conversion kits?

carboncow

Contributing Member
I have a 1997 Pursuit 2460 with same era Volvo Penta engine (rebuilt). Don't have my specs handy right now but as I search for new electronics I'm curious if there is a world with a fuel injected engine that old has enough electronics and a way to interface with the modern dash electronics. Water temp, fuel pressure, you name it...or is a engine of that year so dumb and basic all it's doing is basic bosche FI stuff only?

Awfully broad question so he's an initial attempt at an answer.
the 1997 vintage of ECU's is the typical MEFI-1/2...and those engines permit lots of standalone instrumentation (not ECU dependent). If by 'modern dash electronics' you are referring to a large reconfigurable display (say a chartplotter with a NEMA2000 interface) then to 'display' your engine parameters, you'd need to start with a gateway (Fox is the trailblazer here). Once cabled up, there is typically a programming step to get the information captured from the bus and then displayed.
As to the ECU's capability; that's typically limited by the program installed in it...most are fairly comprehensive...the later generations add additional resolution for most functions and add a few new ones as well. There's plenty of literature if you want to dive into the differences.

Thank you...this is the info I was wanting from my broad question...is it posible. I have seen Fox come up twice and have emailed them. I"m hoping for a fairly plug and play solution but I'm good with configuring things via laptop/program if they offer such solutions.

Back